Does anyone else do this with their powerheads?

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if zoas are able to grow on the front then flow must be severely reduced. I think anything that close will be blasted even running at that percentage if it was clean.
They only grow on the sides of the cover not the front.

Attachments

• 20231222_091041.jpg
    20231222_091041.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 20231222_091033.jpg
    20231222_091033.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not for me . That must restrict flow like crazy !
One would think so, but I have visually observed no visible decline in my flow. Surface still ripples nicely, acros getting blasted, low and moderate flow in bottom third of the tank, etc...I am only using 28% intensity to during the day ramp up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strangely, I am probably the most OCD person on the planet but my reefing approach is much more hands off then hands on micro management. I just let the tank do its thing and figure out its own preferences. Kind of why I am just letting my pumps get tank weathered and blend in with the aquascape. I bought some new plastic covers well over a year ago but never even took them out of the box.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nero's get full of algae and flow gets really low so I clean them but not on a set schedule. My mp40s in one tank I ussualy clean them when they get noisy. The noise is usually a little asterina or vermitid snail that somehow get inside then grow large enough to cause a clicking noise. I just clean them in water with a battle brush. Rarely have I had to soak them in vinegar or citric acid. I use both but the vinegar cleans better IMO
MP40s and MP10s in another tank I rarely clean but I don't get much algae in that tank and no vermatids but astrinas are appearing so I expect they'll end up inside at some point.

Last edited:

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nero's get full of algae and flow gets really low so I clean them but not on a set schedule. My mp40s in one tank I ussualy clean them when they get noisy. The noise is usually a little asterina or vermitid snail that somehow get inside then grow large enoght to cause a clicking noise. I just clean them in water with a battle brush. Rarely have I had to soak them in vinegar or citric acid. I use both but the vinegar cleans better IMO
MP40s and MP10s in another tank I rarely clean but I don't get much algae in that tank and no vermatids but astrinas are appearing so I expect they'll end up inside at some point.
I swear, it looks like you have my tuxedo urchin on both sides of your tank where your wave makers are.

jerricolaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look, and kinda do the same. But I do occasionally take them apart and clean the inside of my Nero’s to keep them flowing nicely. But I leave the outside alone

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, was this meant for me? If so I'll need an explantation, I can be pretty slow at times :winking-face:
Yes, the power heads are all decorated like my tuxedo urchin down to the zoas.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know that the whole issue with vinegar was about the damage it could do on Vortech MP40's. The plastic seal around the neodymium magnets being broken and allowing saltwater to corrode the magnet.
I have been using vinegar on regular powerheads for 40 years and never saw any damage.
Agreed. I currently use a Red Sea ReefWave 45 and a cheap Korean knock-off in my reef, and before that, other types of non Vortech wavemakers. I've been cleaning them all with very diluted white vinegar for many years with zero problems.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar and water was my go to cleaner for water spots on my boats for many years.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's flippin' awesome!
I love it but, like everyone else,,, I clean mine.
Thank you, I'm guessing at some point mother nature is going to stop something but even my snails dance around the front eating algae with no issues. Starfish climbs on them, urchins, etc...

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks new again. Did you observe any performance issues before you cleaned it? Lower flow?
I'm sure it's a bit better but I mostly did it because I'm trying to stay ahead of some gha popping up and looking at the ph it was covered it in lol. Figured it might spread from there....Didn't disassemble it. Honestly I would have let it go longer; didn't bother with my other one because it's not so bad at the moment :)

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is how my powerheads looked before the zoas attached and the urchins got to them. This was like 2 years ago and I have not seen any flow or mechanical issues at all since then.

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there. Maybe you are running them on a low setting? Maybe max or some combination. The long and short of it is that they would not be running as designed by the manufacture or optimally. Especially since you already reduced flow by the cover / guards. Only the hobbyist can say if that will or will not work for them.

Personal preference though and nothing about OCD. I clean mine but at no set interval. I more or less check it as I observe the display and go from there. When I do clean I use citric acid, diluted of course. Only other thing worth mentioning is that if you do clean, not judging if you don't, keep a spare. Never know when something may not work the same after cleaning or other maintenance. In some cases it can make maintenance easier but taking it off line, swapping, and then bringing it back up. Then the one just removed let it soak, clean, and put away for the next swap.

Sort of kill two birds with one stone. Less down time, easier maintenance, and spare should something go South.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back