Does Anyone Have Contacts With A Business With an Import Permit to Import Fresh Live Rock From Indonesia?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any connections but I believe some of the first importers/sellers of Australian rock were @uniquecorals and @Eric Cohen with tankstop.com. Also @Seadwelling Creatures is a sponsor here (on the list posted above) and may be able to help as well? Not sure if this helps at all.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any connections but I believe some of the first importers/sellers of Australian rock were @uniquecorals and @Eric Cohen with tankstop.com. Also @Seadwelling Creatures is a sponsor here (on the list posted above) and may be able to help as well? Not sure if this helps at all.
Thank you! I appreciate that! I'll try to get in touch! Comments similar to this were all I was hoping for. I thought people might appreciate someone they've never met making an effort to make a valuable item available to them but what it turned into somehow...I'm not even sure. Thank you though!

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing this out there genuinely trying to be helpful. I know of exactly zero Indo live rock coming into the the US currently. I’m certainly it’s not for lack of importers trying so there must be a reason aside from them not connecting with you and your friend specifically. There must be a legal or logistical hurdle that cannot be overcome.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought people might appreciate someone they've never met making an effort to make a valuable item available to them but what it turned into somehow...I'm not even sure. Thank you though!
I think it's because you're not the first person to come up with this idea.

Hence all the probing questions about how you plan to get past those laws.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing this out there genuinely trying to be helpful. I know of exactly zero Indo live rock coming into the the US currently. I’m certainly it’s not for lack of importers trying so there must be a reason aside from them not connecting with you and your friend specifically. There must be a legal or logistical hurdle that cannot be overcome.
Well my friend actually works with a company that primarily focuses on mariculture but also sometimes collect wild depending on species. I think the majority of their sales is maricultured corals so that's what they just focus on exporting. I don't even know if it's widely known that live rock has high value to the companies over there...

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's because you're not the first person to come up with this idea.

Hence all the probing questions about how you plan to get past those laws.
You're right, someone has probably thought about importing rock from Indonesia before!
What do you mean get past the laws? By doing it legally.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also liverocknreef. They sell cultured Fiji rock and before the Indo ban a few years back had wild Pacific rock. I would expect they would be all over an opportunity and the means to receive it.
https://www.liverocknreef.com/

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also liverocknreef. They sell cultured Fiji rock and before the Indo ban a few years back had wild Pacific rock. I would expect they would be all over an opportunity and the means to receive it.
I always forget about them, but have always had good customer service from them too.

I also forgot about LivestockUSA.org. I know they sell Walt Smith (or at least used too) and may be interested, though their more of a middle man (direct to consumer importer) more than a importer that then resells.

AP Fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my friend actually works with a company that primarily focuses on mariculture but also sometimes collect wild depending on species. I think the majority of their sales is maricultured corals so that's what they just focus on exporting. I don't even know if it's widely known that live rock has high value to the companies over there...

Your friend works for a company that maricultures, collects, and exports coral but does not know who the importers are?

Perhaps hobbyists aren't the right audience to pose this question to. I originally thought that since some shops can legally import and a few people on here do have contacts it might be worth a shot though.

This whole thing smells like bait to bypass legitimate importers and get some small shop or basement seller with an import permit who is naive to either send money and get nothing in return or to do something that may get them in trouble.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also concerned there is some unsuspected roadblock, but I applaud your effort.

Also what about eyecatchingcoral.com? Aren’t they one of the biggest wholesalers, I would suspect they would know the logistical/legal issues and potentially provide a large volume buyer.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your friend works for a company that maricultures, collects, and exports coral but does not know who the importers are?

This whole thing smells like bait to bypass legitimate importers and get some small shop or basement seller with an import permit who is naive to either send money and get nothing in return or to do something that may get them in trouble.
Well whatever it sounds like to you I couldn't care less. Illegal importers aren't searching online forums to find exporters I wouldn't imagine but to prove it to you here a spreadsheet with some of their maricultured soft corals on sheet 2 and the name. I colored out their contact info for obvious reasons. Sorry guys, this was legit and you just couldn't believe it. Some people do know these guys.
Screenshot_2023-10-27-13-06-58-295_com.miui.gallery.jpg

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for giving real ideas instead of trying to pick apart how this has to be a front for something. The importer would assess every legality so these people playing CITES police are kinda comical at this point.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also concerned there is some unsuspected roadblock, but I applaud your effort.

Also what about eyecatchingcoral.com? Aren’t they one of the biggest wholesalers, I would suspect they would know the logistical/legal issues and potentially provide a large volume buyer.
It isn't easy connecting import companies and export companies because most already have their network worked out and are very reluctant to share any information whatsoever about who their exporter is so it's not easy proving the exporter you are promoting is better since without details of their current exporter you can't find flaws

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
import companies and export companies because most already have their network worked out and are very reluctant to share any information
Exactly

Yet, you are here looking for importers for your export friend, who according to your above statement should have it worked out already

It seems like you’re just fishing for a list of US importers/wholesalers for yourself

If indo rock was able to be exported every tranship operation in Bali would already be all over it

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly

Yet, you are here looking for importers for your export friend, who according to your above statement should have it worked out already

It seems like you’re just fishing for a list of US importers/wholesalers for yourself

If indo rock was able to be exported every tranship operation in Bali would already be all over it
Nooo...I'm looking for people who may have inner contacts and know of a need I am unaware of...that's why I wrote it in the title.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For future post I ask that you please read the thread topic at the VERY least and if you have an opinion of critique please do the courtesy of reading through the thread to understand what has already been discussed. Also, if you've read the Topic of the thread, I would expect a comment mentioning a contact or any tips on how to find them that are not sarcastic or highly unreasonable/overly simple which are almost certainly of no use...an example would be posting store names of shops on the California coast.

Thank you for the helpful posters who did read the topic and offered what they could. Truly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back