Does Anyone Have Contacts With A Business With an Import Permit to Import Fresh Live Rock From Indonesia?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly

Yet, you are here looking for importers for your export friend, who according to your above statement should have it worked out already

It seems like you’re just fishing for a list of US importers/wholesalers for yourself

If indo rock was able to be exported every tranship operation in Bali would already be all over it
This.
Back in 2015 there was Jakarta live rock for sale before Indo shut down.

Either the network running that rock is no longer in business or perhaps it is more profitable to send a bunch of mari corals in a box than heavy rocks which would be part of the same CITIES quota?

I would love to see more affordable options for legal wild Pacific rock, I'm sure it would sell out just as fast as Aussie rock.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This.
Back in 2015 there was Jakarta live rock for sale before Indo shut down.

Either the network running that rock is no longer in business or perhaps it is more profitable to send a bunch of mari corals in a box than heavy rocks which would be part of the same CITIES quota?

I would love to see more affordable options for legal wild Pacific rock, I'm sure it would sell out just as fast as Aussie rock.
I'll speak to my friend and have him ask his boss. You see the quality rock I post...it's absolutely beautiful and I've only gotten a few small crabs as hitchhikers over the years! The coralline is absolutely beautiful and completely covers the rock in different shades!

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is coralline the staple of what makes rock quality?

Honestly, all I see is coralline encrusted fuzzy rock. I can't tell beyond that if it is quality rock.

The only hobbyist that are interesting in coralline are the ones still wet behind the ears, those that are in the beginning stages and want something other than a vast plain of bland to look at.

Actually, now that I've inspected the pictures a little closer, I might have figured out your underlying motive.

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is coralline the staple of what makes rock quality?

Honestly, all I see is coralline encrusted fuzzy rock. I can't tell beyond that if it is quality rock.

The only hobbyist that are interesting in coralline are the ones still wet behind the ears, those that are in the beginning stages and want something other than a vast plain of bland to look at.

Actually, now that I've inspected the pictures a little closer, I might have figured out your underlying motive.
Sherlock Holmes Hello GIF by Boomerang Official

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand all of the hostility and questioning of 'motives' in this thread.

The motive is clear-he thinks he has a product people might want to buy, and he can possibly make some money by selling it to them. That is called 'business' or maybe 'capitalism'. I am generally in favor of people making a living.

He has been very clear that he has no intention of skirting any laws, import requirements, collecting restrictions etc. I'm not convinced he actually knows all of these import requirements (complex area, I certainly don't know these regulations either). However he has not said anything to suggest that he intends to do anything underhanded or illegal, and has suggested that in part he is trying to find an importer that can help with meeting the regulations.

I think his rock looks fairly nice (not great pictures, but clearly covered in coraline and some small polyps). Of course I would want to see better pictures and know price before I would decide whether it was something I was interested in buying.

This whole project may very well fail, and it is important he understands that, I just don't understand why there is so much negativity toward the idea of even trying.

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't understand all of the hostility and questioning of 'motives' in this thread.

The motive is clear-he thinks he has a product people might want to buy, and he can possibly make some money by selling it to them. That is called 'business' or maybe 'capitalism'. I am generally in favor of people making a living.

He has been very clear that he has no intention of skirting any laws, import requirements, collecting restrictions etc. I'm not convinced he actually knows all of these import requirements (complex area, I certainly don't know these regulations either). However he has not said anything to suggest that he intends to do anything underhanded or illegal, and has suggested that in part he is trying to find an importer that can help with meeting the regulations.

I think his rock looks fairly nice (not great pictures, but clearly covered in coraline and some small polyps). Of course I would want to see better pictures and know price before I would decide whether it was something I was interested in buying.

This whole project may very well fail, and it is important he understands that, I just don't understand why there is so much negativity toward the idea of even trying.
Agreed, my above gif was a joke; not poking fun at OP. I think its a great idea that would fill a void that used to be an option pre-ban. As others have stated; I would reach out to those vendors that are currently selling Aussie live rock and see if they would be interested in offering Indo as well. Good luck OP!

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Indonesia bans the export how is he going to legally export it then? The hard part from what I have read is going to be the export license.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for being able to read an internet thread and judge it with your own mind! I'm not sure why there's hostility. It's something many people value highly and would absolutely buy. I'm not even selling it. People will go on about the good ole days of Pacific rock but why then are they acting as if something is wrong with asking if anyone knows someone who can legally import it? I think there's something about the Internets anonomysity that brings out the worst in people, honestly. If I was standing in front of someone and asked them the exact question, I highly doubt I'd be negativity scrutinized at all. I'm not an intimidating individual or would appear threatening in any way. In all honesty, I just think people see a way to take their frustrations out behind a keyboard in complete safety. I won't say much else because although it can be irritating, they would thrive off seeing someone "lose it". That actually means something about them, not whoever loses it if you really think it through.

We should be supporting actions that provide products of high demand in the hobby, right? Isn't this of high demand?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is just like the many that pop up from time to time about someone wanting to turn their hobby into a life's dream business. When folks point out some obvious hurdles the dreamer gets defensive and the thread spirals into chaos.

The claim here is that speaking with a friend in Bali about live rock prices he says yeah I want to make money selling folks rock from my back yard (aka the reef near him). Then it's claimed said friend has all the needed permits and actually works for an existing exporter in Bali.

Now, if this is true, said friend would already have contacts in the business and could simply offer the rock on their availability list and sell it via his existing business. For the friend to ask an acquaintance not in the business to help find importers and contacts seems ludicrous. A simple scan of the vendors on this forum would produce more than enough contacts.

Becoming an importer is not a big deal. You start a reef related business, get a business license, apply to the US Fish & Wildlife Service for an import permit and voila you are an importer. Understanding the logistics and that this is a freight business and not just a livestock or live rock business is the difficult part.

BTW, over the last 23 years I've imported live rock from the Marshall Island, Fiji, Tonga, Indonesia and more. About 15 years ago I stopped importing rock and have since use and sell man-made Real Reef rock. It has the shapes and color with none of the die off or bad hitchhikers of ocean rock and no one took a crowbar to a reef to collect it! Live Rock from the ocean is shipped dry. Most coraline or critters die off because it has been out of the ocean a long time before it is shipped and much longer sitting in a box before hobbyists ever receive it. It usually smells bad because of the die off and must be properly cured before use.
Sir, or madam, I'm sorry but are you really speaking as a company representative that way? I'm sorry if this sounds pretentious but I'm a little above even defending against this lengthy comment. If you dedicated that time to your business you'd be more successful. That's not deniable. Dedicated time leads to greater success. Sorry.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding a demand in a niche sub section of a niche hobby is great, and I commend you for having that original thought, and being in the position with your Bali friend to connect the dots when no one else has quite gotten there yet.

Striking while the iron is hot is probably your best bet, secure your importers, exporters and corner the market.

Don't listen to these keyboard warriors that wouldn't have the sack to say it to your face if you were having coffee with them. They're just jealous that they don't have a friend in Indonesia that is connected to the export business to make it a reality.

You do you man, and forget about the nay sayers.

If I were you, I'd start freeing up equity. If you own a home, mortgage it. If you have an extra vehicle, sell it. If you have a nest egg, nows the time to use it! And in a year, come back here and rub your success in everyone's face.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Finding a demand in a niche sub section of a niche hobby is great, and I commend you for having that original thought, and being in the position with your Bali friend to connect the dots when no one else has quite gotten there yet.

Striking while the iron is hot is probably your best bet, secure your importers, exporters and corner the market.

Don't listen to these keyboard warriors that wouldn't have the sack to say it to your face if you were having coffee with them. They're just jealous that they don't have a friend in Indonesia that is connected to the export business to make it a reality.

You do you man, and forget about the nay sayers.

If I were you, I'd start freeing up equity. If you own a home, mortgage it. If you have an extra vehicle, sell it. If you have a nest egg, nows the time to use it! And in a year, come back here and rub your success in everyone's face.
M not wasting time reading what you wrote. Stop commenting unless you enjoy wasting time. You could be further in life of you spent your time more wisely.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back