Does anyone here have a manual canopy lift?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finishing up the stand and plumbing on my 48x24x15 peninsula. I love the rimless look but not the light spillage. I'd like to try and get the best of both worlds with a floating canopy which got me looking into actuators and lifts. For me an actuator seems like one more piece of equipment to fail and need to leave accessible. I'm looking around 80/20 inc site but not getting very far so I'm looking for some ideas and inspiration.

If you have a canopy lift, electric or manual I'd love to see it.

Thanks,

Matt

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tv mount won’t work?

D632CCC1-6402-4039-BB3C-CBBD2516735C.jpeg 528EB593-810C-46EC-863F-3F1D085184C4.jpeg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the bottom pic is a floating rig
the top is another tank, it has the 2 TV mounts. They are screwed into the back using lag bolts. I will have to post tomorrow as the lights are out
Revtree just did a thread on TV mounts

76FCC711-5A83-4E9A-9D1E-91B92270E075.jpeg

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my 80/20 variation on a cantilever theme for a light rack. Please excuse the "under construction" clutter...
GnNPCNn.jpg

In the initial stages I was going to use an electric winch and a series of pulleys to raise and lower the light rack. After fitting it and working out the pulley locations, I began to think about replacing it with a linear actuator. Then I decided to eliminate the pulley system altogether (eliminate more points of complication or failure) and went strictly to a couple linear actuators.

knyeVTj.jpg

Everything attached, wiring wasn't tidied up yet...
nVXSPhX.jpg

I should have the "final" parts in over the next few weeks and have things "tidied up nicely" by then.
I've learned a lot in the process, and have a few things I'd do differently to get "even better" results, but overall I'm extremely pleased with the result. I'm now able easily access the reef from 360' (it's a walk-around reef, so you can see from all sides of the aquarium). I can raise the light rack out of the way when I need access - such as when I had to catch and remove my One-Spot Foxface this past week. I have pretty much infinite height adjustment for PAR and spread, and use that in conjunction with the light controls to set the PAR levels and coverage for the reef to the best compromise.

Hope this helps with your research.

Cheers,
Ray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm lazy and went with rails, bearings and cylinder. Off the top of my head it was < $350. This was the first trial...some tweaking and it's good to go with canopy added

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a picture but the front "lid" that hides my lights is very heavy. I just built a counterweight system. I have pulleys over the tank on the ceiling and another set of pulleys on the back wall.

Weights keep the lid wherever I put it. Very cheap and simple.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm lazy and went with rails, bearings and cylinder. Off the top of my head it was < $350. This was the first trial...some tweaking and it's good to go with canopy added

Dang you're not messing around man! That's awesome!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my wife said that I couldnt hang the canopy off of the ceiling and the tank was already in place so this is the best I could come up with

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back