ROMN8R's 175g Build

ROMN8R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. My name is Romie. I'm from Texas.

This thread is to document my new 175 gallon tank build.

I started in saltwater about 15 years ago with a small 20 gallon tank and of course it grew many times all the way up to a 125 gallon 6 foot fresh water tank that I bought used and converted into a saltwater tank. I moved and had no where to keep a 6 foot tank so I had to break it down and sell it. That tank meant a lot to me and my wife because we had it before our kids were born and they loved to watch it when they were newborns all the way up to when we tore it down. We have been in the new house for a little over two years and I we have finally decided to build a new tank.

We don't have the most ideal spot but we are converting our breakfast/dining area to be a sort of lounge area with the tank there. Biggest size that I think fits the space is 5 foot. Although I love the rimless tanks, I do want to keep maintenance to a minimum and evaporation will happen more than I'd like. Also, we do have two kids. 5 and 9 so things will probably end up in the tank. We decided on a planet mega matrix 175 gallon with stand and canopy. I know there won't be a huge difference in evaporation but every little bit helps. Also sometimes we will be viewing by sitting as well as standing so we did go with the standard height stand, and a taller tank. I love the extra gallons as well. The tank is 30" tall and 24" deep.

Here is the space we will be putting the tank.

IMG_9047.JPG

I decided to go with Marco rock instead of live rock just to limit the number of random hitchhikers and pests as well as give me something to do while waiting for the new tank to arrive. Me and the kids smashed up about 150lbs of it and have been playing around with thick gel type super glue. I wanted to go with sort of an NSA style scape but leaning more towards arches with many caves and branches. After building something, I fell in love with the "impossible" floating style and tried to come up with a sort of mixture of the two. I really like the exposed sand and longer overhangs. I'm not sure if this is going to be the final aquascape at the moment and I'll post more pictures once it's done but here's what I have so far:

IMG_9049.JPG

IMG_9050.JPG

IMG_9051.JPG

IMG_9052.JPG

IMG_9053.JPG

I'm sure most of ya'll know that pictures really don't do a good job showing depth but there are a lot of platforms for coral and caves for fish to call home. I do still need to build a little extra height to fill the tank. I'm struggling with adding height because I feel like it takes away from the long overhangs but I will still continue to modify and if I can't end on something I love then I'll just smash it again and do more of arch type base and build up from there. I think anything higher than this point won't be glued/cemented together and just make the upper portions removable because I do want to be able to do that without destroying everything. Please feel free to share some input on the aquascape or give me some pictures as inspiration.

For some of the equipment I know for sure I'm using a trigger 36" sump. Simple but solid. I don't plan on running filter socks or fleece. I will be adding a protein skimmer later once I have a couple fish and corals in the system. I have some lights picked out but I have not purchased so I will share that once I am for sure what I go with. Most likely they will be ecotech. I plan on hard plumbing with either schedule 40 pvc with schedule 80 valves or just go with all schedule 80. I also have some power heads picked out but just like the lights and are also ecotech. I have not purchased them yet but it will be as minimal as possible just to keep the display tank as free from clutter and wires as possible. The return pump is an ecotech vectra m2. I like the ecotech equipment because you can run all them from one ap without any sort of extra control system even though I may add that way later down the line if neccessary. Heater is a aquatop 500w titanium heater. I do need recommendations for an additional temp probe preferable one that can run in the ecotech ap but I have not looked into that yet.

Delivery date on the tank is October 1st. I will be setting up a quarantine tank this week and taking the kids to pick out the first couple fish with will be clowns. More than likely they will be "storm" or "snowflake" type. I do plan on working up to a pretty heavily stocked tank. 15-20 fish. I do not have a complete list of fish that we will be getting but I know that about half will be tangs. I plan on posting or searching for a post of the best order to introduce tangs because I do have a couple of tangs that I must have. Powder Blue being one of the top. I would also like to add a purple tang and gem tang. The rest will probably be overall pretty easy as far as aggression goes like a some sort of Naso and also a Blue tang. At least one Mandarin will be in the tank as well. I would like some cool shrimp but I don't know how that limits me as far as fish goes so I will be asking for a little help with that. We like Trigger fish but I worry about them eating the shrimp snails and crabs. I've heard they will also eat clams. So I am battling with coral and inverts versus fish for selection. I think adding a cleaner shrimp or two and a couple more cool looking shrimp and crabs is a must just for the diversity when viewing especially for the kids and guests. If aphasia pops up then I'll be considering some sort of butterfly fish or anything that can naturally combat them.

This may be the longest post I've ever done on any forum so I'll leave it with that. I will be trying my best to document this journey and hopefully it will help me stay interested and consistent at least for the initial establishment period.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. My name is Romie. I'm from Texas.

This thread is to document my new 175 gallon tank build.

I started in saltwater about 15 years ago with a small 20 gallon tank and of course it grew many times all the way up to a 125 gallon 6 foot fresh water tank that I bought used and converted into a saltwater tank. I moved and had no where to keep a 6 foot tank so I had to break it down and sell it. That tank meant a lot to me and my wife because we had it before our kids were born and they loved to watch it when they were newborns all the way up to when we tore it down. We have been in the new house for a little over two years and I we have finally decided to build a new tank.

We don't have the most ideal spot but we are converting our breakfast/dining area to be a sort of lounge area with the tank there. Biggest size that I think fits the space is 5 foot. Although I love the rimless tanks, I do want to keep maintenance to a minimum and evaporation will happen more than I'd like. Also, we do have two kids. 5 and 9 so things will probably end up in the tank. We decided on a planet mega matrix 175 gallon with stand and canopy. I know there won't be a huge difference in evaporation but every little bit helps. Also sometimes we will be viewing by sitting as well as standing so we did go with the standard height stand, and a taller tank. I love the extra gallons as well. The tank is 30" tall and 24" deep.

Here is the space we will be putting the tank.

IMG_9047.JPG

I decided to go with Marco rock instead of live rock just to limit the number of random hitchhikers and pests as well as give me something to do while waiting for the new tank to arrive. Me and the kids smashed up about 150lbs of it and have been playing around with thick gel type super glue. I wanted to go with sort of an NSA style scape but leaning more towards arches with many caves and branches. After building something, I fell in love with the "impossible" floating style and tried to come up with a sort of mixture of the two. I really like the exposed sand and longer overhangs. I'm not sure if this is going to be the final aquascape at the moment and I'll post more pictures once it's done but here's what I have so far:

IMG_9049.JPG

IMG_9050.JPG

IMG_9051.JPG

IMG_9052.JPG

IMG_9053.JPG

I'm sure most of ya'll know that pictures really don't do a good job showing depth but there are a lot of platforms for coral and caves for fish to call home. I do still need to build a little extra height to fill the tank. I'm struggling with adding height because I feel like it takes away from the long overhangs but I will still continue to modify and if I can't end on something I love then I'll just smash it again and do more of arch type base and build up from there. I think anything higher than this point won't be glued/cemented together and just make the upper portions removable because I do want to be able to do that without destroying everything. Please feel free to share some input on the aquascape or give me some pictures as inspiration.

For some of the equipment I know for sure I'm using a trigger 36" sump. Simple but solid. I don't plan on running filter socks or fleece. I will be adding a protein skimmer later once I have a couple fish and corals in the system. I have some lights picked out but I have not purchased so I will share that once I am for sure what I go with. Most likely they will be ecotech. I plan on hard plumbing with either schedule 40 pvc with schedule 80 valves or just go with all schedule 80. I also have some power heads picked out but just like the lights and are also ecotech. I have not purchased them yet but it will be as minimal as possible just to keep the display tank as free from clutter and wires as possible. The return pump is an ecotech vectra m2. I like the ecotech equipment because you can run all them from one ap without any sort of extra control system even though I may add that way later down the line if neccessary. Heater is a aquatop 500w titanium heater. I do need recommendations for an additional temp probe preferable one that can run in the ecotech ap but I have not looked into that yet.

Delivery date on the tank is October 1st. I will be setting up a quarantine tank this week and taking the kids to pick out the first couple fish with will be clowns. More than likely they will be "storm" or "snowflake" type. I do plan on working up to a pretty heavily stocked tank. 15-20 fish. I do not have a complete list of fish that we will be getting but I know that about half will be tangs. I plan on posting or searching for a post of the best order to introduce tangs because I do have a couple of tangs that I must have. Powder Blue being one of the top. I would also like to add a purple tang and gem tang. The rest will probably be overall pretty easy as far as aggression goes like a some sort of Naso and also a Blue tang. At least one Mandarin will be in the tank as well. I would like some cool shrimp but I don't know how that limits me as far as fish goes so I will be asking for a little help with that. We like Trigger fish but I worry about them eating the shrimp snails and crabs. I've heard they will also eat clams. So I am battling with coral and inverts versus fish for selection. I think adding a cleaner shrimp or two and a couple more cool looking shrimp and crabs is a must just for the diversity when viewing especially for the kids and guests. If aphasia pops up then I'll be considering some sort of butterfly fish or anything that can naturally combat them.

This may be the longest post I've ever done on any forum so I'll leave it with that. I will be trying my best to document this journey and hopefully it will help me stay interested and consistent at least for the initial establishment period.
Love the aquascape!

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the scape. Exactly how I will do my next build. Lots of open space along the bottom to allow the flow to keep the bottom clean and the fish to swim through. One concern, I don't think bananas can go in a reef scape (queue Sea Monkeys joke).

OP
OP
ROMN8R

ROMN8R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the scape. Exactly how I will do my next build. Lots of open space along the bottom to allow the flow to keep the bottom clean and the fish to swim through. One concern, I don't think bananas can go in a reef scape (queue Sea Monkeys joke).
Haha party favor leftover from my race team at our last race. Check us out Xepa racing on Instagram or Facebook.

OP
OP
ROMN8R

ROMN8R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after building up the scape some more I felt it was very unbalanced and kind of unnatural looking to me. Here’s where I left off when I felt this way.

7E4B53D3-864E-432F-8424-DF45F4004D1F.jpeg
FCC3C704-D52C-4EA9-9B0D-59C14E457CD5.jpeg
1FBE4DA5-5FE4-4AA7-86C0-14E3A924BF80.jpeg

I did like the over hang on the right side but I decided to break it…. Again.

After a little playing around I think I have the main structure that I’m happy with. I think it has a better flow and looks more natural but still tons of swim space. I do plan on adding some more branching overhangs for coral placement, depth, and fish hideouts.

Here’s the new scape.

429CBAA2-ACB2-4D90-AA84-02BD90DCD976.jpeg
2619B348-EBC8-403C-A661-3CC4592991A4.jpeg
65B02FCD-CD9E-45EB-AD82-F7A5D63244DB.jpeg

A few goodies showed up as well. My RODI unit, mortar for the scape, and the first box of sand for my QT tank. Even though my QT tank didn’t show up yet :(

I hope it’s not lost because we are supposed to be going to pick out the first fish this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_9084.MOV
    84 MB
OP
OP
ROMN8R

ROMN8R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the QT tank setup.
Also today we picked up our first two fish.
Frostbite clownfish

E3C8C511-D546-4584-AC32-B673E6FA7028.jpeg

7BE10C40-64FF-4173-8D7D-1BF966DEE8DC.jpeg

OP
OP
ROMN8R

ROMN8R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lots of updates this week.

Tuesday i received the new aquarium stand and sump. Got it in place and leveled!

Added rocks, live sand, and filled as much as I could.

98E4A6EF-DF9E-4B11-B799-6A0562F1ED94.jpeg
B89EB46F-14E0-4BB6-8011-821AF9E0B311.jpeg
EFAE54D1-231D-4B1C-B58A-4FAD7AE308BC.jpeg

OP
OP
ROMN8R

ROMN8R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered all the plumbing from BRS can’t wait for that to get here.

Also I’m mostly full.
Aqua cape mostly done. I will be letting my kids make a couple of small rock structures so they can have their own little coral islands.

Added the two clowns from QT, as well five hermits to pick up the extra food and help move a little of the sand bed.

Also added a yellow watchman goby. Hopefully he survives the cycle. I figure a bigger tank like this he will be fine.

Also put one xr30 in the center for now. Planning on adding two xr15 on the sides.

My canopy is not ready yet but it should be in a couple weeks.

Numbers yesterday
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite .25
Nitrate 2.5

And today
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

I think we are moving the right direction and far from toxic for him.

I also have a cleaner shrimp and three margaritas in the quarantine tank. Snails for cleaning the algae and the cleaner shrimp just because I didn’t want him going through the initial cycle of the main display.

I think the next fish additions will be a white tail kole tang and a Japanese swallow tail angel

Or white tail Kole tang and a few Anthias

Plan is for the tang to be as small as possible.

Here’s some pics :

61E28597-CEFA-47B1-B358-F98B62CD52DD.jpeg
4327773B-7231-42C2-BFA9-0C08DB7AD29E.jpeg
C0D05F1C-2CF2-4949-B85E-4110FCF54485.jpeg

OP
OP
ROMN8R

ROMN8R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very happy with how the tank is going. Numbers are holding strong with
0 ammonia
0 to very very little nitrites
And low nitrates

I started to get a little green/brown algae so I added 5 hermits and 5 snails thinking it will still grow but they will begin to manage it but it’s all gone and has been gone.

I added a couple zoas, as well as a frogspawn and an acan that were on sale at the LFS just as tester corals and they look great.

I upgraded my very very old power heads to two mp40s and I love how it cleans up the tank.

I also got all the hard plumbing done so I was able to get the sump running and completely fill the tank and sump.

For the return pump I went with the m2 from ecotech so now the one xr30 the mp40s as well as the return pump are all on the mobius ap which I love.

yesterday i seeded a biobrick with microbacter 7 just to help the benificial bacteria. I added that today. My plan is to add a refugium to the sump eventually but I have not decided what light to use yet. I would like it to use the same ap but I don’t want to spend the money on a very expensive light down there. At least not in the beginning. So I will probably just get a cheap light on a timer.

50A6B7F0-1949-4702-B866-A62C6E4EC492.jpeg
107A00F3-B117-422A-B71B-B1224F3D7067.jpeg
BE64F66C-6125-4C77-95F6-D08ED7E273A2.jpeg

Attachments

• D03AB1E9-131F-4BEC-82E7-4640465B9947.jpeg
    D03AB1E9-131F-4BEC-82E7-4640465B9947.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 21

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back