Does anyone know what lighting system CornBred uses on acros?

OP
OP
Phelipe's Ocean

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of his photos are HEAVILY altered. He also uses a magnifying glass because his acro frags are so small ; )

I have no problem with blue/actinic only pics etc but he changes how corals look sometimes.

Something i like to do when buying coral online is i will take the picture and lower the saturation, if i still like it then I order. But cb i cant do that if hes managed to make a pink coral gold in photos... im gonna get a few frags from him and see how they compare to photos.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something i like to do when buying coral online is i will take the picture and lower the saturation, if i still like it then I order. But cb i cant do that if hes managed to make a pink coral gold in photos... im gonna get a few frags from him and see how they compare to photos.
There's a lot of awesome sponsors here that take care of there customers and provide real photos of what your getting. Boom corals is one of them

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strongly recommend you dont get any acro frags from him.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not pictures under actinic that are the problem........ When you take pictures under heavy blue lighting the picture will not represent what the naked eye sees. In most cases the color is actually washed out and overly blue. So there are 2 options to get the picture to represent what your eye sees. You can use a filter on the camera to get it pretty close or the picture can be adjusted with a editing program. This is where people and a lot of vendors get themselves in trouble. The idea is to adjust the picture to what your eyes see in the tank under the blue lighting. This is not hard to do at all. However anyone who has used these programs knows that if you just over adjust a little you can make the coral color look unbelievable. And that’s exactly what it is.........

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought a birthday coral for my son from him. We only had old school CF lights. He gladly sent me a pic under white lights and hand selected a coral for him. I had a very good experience!

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a CB maleficent from my LFS. It was the most fiery red that I’ve ever seen. It lost its color due to bad lighting on my end. It’s slowly recovering now and getting the intense fire back. Looking at this coral all colored up, under blues, made my eyes hurt.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photoshop???????????????????

.... :confused:

Tagging... :)

This made me laugh as hard as I have in a while... so true...

You can do OK with Cornbred, just buy something that is not his since you know what it looks like already. JF Fox Flame, OG WWC Bounce, RR Canada Pink Floyd, etc. This way you have a basis of comparison. Expect something really small.

I second the recommendation on Boom. Quality and honesty do the talking, not hype.

BTW - I think that the Maleficent was a rename of somebody else's coral. I will know more after it grows a bit more.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This made me laugh as hard as I have in a while... so true...

You can do OK with Cornbred, just buy something that is not his since you know what it looks like already. JF Fox Flame, OG WWC Bounce, RR Canada Pink Floyd, etc. This way you have a basis of comparison. Expect something really small.

I second the recommendation on Boom. Quality and honesty do the talking, not hype.

BTW - I think that the Maleficent was a rename of somebody else's coral. I will know more after it grows a bit more.

Almost everything that I’ve seen is a rename of someone else’s coral :)

Pink Floyd has many renames.
Bali Shortcake is crazy with renames.
WWC renames their pink Acro every few months.

Whatever the Maleficent was first, it’s definitely a stunner when happy.

-Matt

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Touche... especially with WWC.

There are some good vendors that do not just rename other people things, or resist naming everything. I do respect them for that.

OP
OP
Phelipe's Ocean

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot of awesome sponsors here that take care of there customers and provide real photos of what your getting. Boom corals is one of them

Yes I agree, whenever im snooping around on his site colors match almost perfectly to the ones in my tank.

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought some stuff from him. Personally the frags are small as hell almost laughable. Although they had nice color they completely transformed under my main display lighting. I have a few that are going now that are unique. Altogether. Over priced under sized. It’s funny because the two feeebies I got from
Him they are my favorite... go figure lol.

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I would like to add that some of his corals just appear to be re named in his tank apparently

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought some stuff from him. Personally the frags are small as hell almost laughable. Although they had nice color they completely transformed under my main display lighting. I have a few that are going now that are unique. Altogether. Over priced under sized. It’s funny because the two feeebies I got from
Him they are my favorite... go figure lol.
I agree. My frag came in colored pretty good. I could see the blue skin on the acro in the bag with natural light. However, even though it was wysiwyg, it was quite smaller than I was expecting. It makes sense what others are saying about the magnification.

OP
OP
Phelipe's Ocean

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. My frag came in colored pretty good. I could see the blue skin on the acro in the bag with natural light. However, even though it was wysiwyg, it was quite smaller than I was expecting. It makes sense what others are saying about the magnification.

I hear a lot about frags being small, lets see just how small. Ordered an RR JawDropper and DJ skittys phritp from him yesterday. Interesting to hear about these freebies as well. I will keep everyone posted on arrival.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I believe halides.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back