Does anyone know what type of fish this guy is? PICS

Oceanis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife came back with this guy when she went to petco yesterday. Apparently they told her it’s a dottyback but I can’t find any species that looks like it. Any ideas?

I’ve got a perc clown pair and a spotted goby/ pistol pair. It’s been non-aggressive to all fish/ corals so far but I want to be sure.

3B5E8748-9BE3-48BC-BFB7-37B6C2B0A715.jpeg

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally reef safe blenny. Planktivore. They are one of the "fang blennies" which means they have a toxic bite towards predators though this does not pose a serious risk to humans it might hurt if you try to grab it. Because of the fang they are also pretty confident and not shy like most blennies, since predators don't want to get bit they have not much to fear.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that Petco employee was way off base with that one. Actually I would say they weren't even in the same ballpark as the rest of the team! :) I wonder if they'd also say it's fine to keep a tang in a 20g. ;-)

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
am not complaining - I have two great LFSs in my little hometown, but I have never seen and marine fish or supplies in any of the 3 Petcos anywhere near me

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife came back with this guy when she went to petco yesterday. Apparently they told her it’s a dottyback but I can’t find any species that looks like it. Any ideas?

I’ve got a perc clown pair and a spotted goby/ pistol pair. It’s been non-aggressive to all fish/ corals so far but I want to be sure.

3B5E8748-9BE3-48BC-BFB7-37B6C2B0A715.jpeg
Striped Fang Blenny (Meiacanthus grammistes), completely harmless but watch out as they do have venomous teeth so if threatened or cornered they may bite you.

Pale Morning1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for awhile. Picked it up at Petco also. Unfortunately mine only lasted for about three weeks. But in that time was perfectly fine with clowns and firefish.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally reef safe blenny. Planktivore. They are one of the "fang blennies" which means they have a toxic bite towards predators though this does not pose a serious risk to humans it might hurt if you try to grab it. Because of the fang they are also pretty confident and not shy like most blennies, since predators don't want to get bit they have not much to fear.
If anyone does get bit and suffers a reaction they can add their experience to the other thread that is dedicated to reef related injuries. No surprise there are some clownfish bites. :) Haven't seen one from this blenny yet. :)

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that Petco employee was way off base with that one. Actually I would say they weren't even in the same ballpark as the rest of the team! :) I wonder if they'd also say it's fine to keep a tang in a 20g. ;-)
I find it's never good to wholeheartedly accept any info or advice from people trying to sell you something... Even if they seem to have the best of intentions. In this case I think they just didn't know any better, but the point still stands!

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone does get bit and suffers a reaction they can add their experience to the other thread that is dedicated to reef related injuries. No surprise there are some clownfish bites. :) Haven't seen one from this blenny yet. :)
They are pretty conservative with the bite afaik. They bite inside the mouth of predators trying to swallow them so unless it thinks you are trying to swallow it will prefer to dart away first. I agree clownfish are a lot more dangerous and I can confirm that with my own experience hehe.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always called these Striped "Cateye" Blenny......nice feeeesh:)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Actual name- file striped blenny which is peaceful, needs a little cave to nest in and adequate room to swim to do well in your tank. They are not picky about water quality and eagerly eat small meaty frozen foods.

hawkeyejp82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
am not complaining - I have two great LFSs in my little hometown, but I have never seen and marine fish or supplies in any of the 3 Petcos anywhere near me
Petco is the only store in my town that carries SW fish and even some coral. That said I much prefer to travel to a LFS 40-50 miles away for livestock. I will utilize the PETCO for Instant Ocean Salt and a few other supplies but not livestock.

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen this fish at the lfs and almost made a impulse buy. But I came back to reality and realized I didn't know anything about this fish. Never seen it before or heard of it. So I'm doing some research tonight.

Are you still happy with this fish?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back