What Fish is This?

LiquidSpace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this orange guy swimming around in a BRS video and can’t find anything close to it. Any idea?
IMG_2900.jpeg

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm 100% certain the fish in the background is an Achilles Tang. Not sure about the one in the foreground, but I'm 90% certain some more experienced reefers will solve this mystery.

ETA: @ISpeakForTheSeas may very well have it!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It is garibaldi damsels and ive seen these guys at 8" and can be aggressive

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odontanthias fuscipinnis.
Yeah, looking through the video, the fish seems to look yellow more often than orange, so this may very well be it - regardless, Garibaldi or the Hawaiian Deep Anthias/Hawaiian Yellow Anthias, they're very hard to come by, and they're coldwater fish (Yellow Anthias are from deep water, and Garibaldis are from California).

Not really suited to a standard reef.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a little clueless and didn't see the link to the video, it seems that this tank runs at a specific temperature, having a couple of Genicanthus personatus and an Acanthurus polyzona that should be the case. They also seem to have some deep water damselfish and possibly some tilefish.

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garabaldi are illegal to possess. But this is coming from someone who smuggled some zoanthids from Mexico into the country.
Bet you didn’t think there are nice zoanthids and killer non photosynthetics a couple hours from the border huh?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a little clueless and didn't see the link to the video, it seems that this tank runs at a specific temperature, having a couple of Genicanthus personatus and an Acanthurus polyzona that should be the case. They also seem to have some deep water damselfish and possibly some tilefish.
I don’t think that tank is running at a low temperature - The corals in there are all quite warm species that prefer 23°C-26°C water. And many deepwater species can be acclimated to warmer water conditions it just doesn’t always help their life span.

Polyzona is a tang that doesn’t need cold water to be happy, and tilefish are the same. The Oreni is usually kept in warm water tanks.

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This video right here, and yes, I’m pretty sure it’s the Garibaldi. Thank you!

I like how articulate he presents himself, he could paid to make videos for companies. He’s just not what I would consider very knowledgeable at all. He’s speaks well and has money to burn, but when you have those kind of resources and you use well water, fake rock, leave it running months, you don’t even know how to cycle it! Where do you get the nerve? “We didn’t intentionally add the right things.” Uhhh, you didn’t intentionally learn that in your 20 years experience? I guess this is real though it feels like he’s trolling hard. It’s almost comical, but imagine if you had the thousands of dollars invested in such a beautiful tank, equipment, cabinetry and rock work, then this absolute doofus shows up to crash your tank into the pumps at the gas station and toss a lit road flare on it?

Last edited:

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odontanthias fuscipinnis. Deepewater anthias species, very rare and expensive fish.
Good call! I thought it was Anthias anthias from the picture at first, but the video with the guy who didn’t even know to dip those expensive wild Acro colonies and immediately has AEFW showed a good angle. I’d still take a Squarespot or a Bleeding Heart (cooperi) Only one from Africa though.

Attachments

• D0B87824-6D41-4004-8B8B-8C41C6EFEDB4.jpeg
    D0B87824-6D41-4004-8B8B-8C41C6EFEDB4.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 3B4E7400-813A-4531-BF1D-FD28FE1AADB6.jpeg
    3B4E7400-813A-4531-BF1D-FD28FE1AADB6.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 43

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back