Does anyone use a MAGNETIC STIRRER?

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to to start using the Tropic Marin All 4 Reef and would like to keep a constant stir going so it doesn't settle so I am thinking a magnetic stirrer might do the trick but not sure what to buy, what's a good one? I'll be using a 5 gal. water jug. Thanks for any help.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your probably not going to find a hobby grade stirrer that will handle 5 gallons, a large capacity lab grade one will set you back around $1k

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to to start using the Tropic Marin All 4 Reef and would like to keep a constant stir going so it doesn't settle so I am thinking a magnetic stirrer might do the trick but not sure what to buy, what's a good one? I'll be using a 5 gal. water jug. Thanks for any help.
Would a kalk stirrer work? Check out avast k1 or k2.

OP
OP
Reefnman2

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your probably not going to find a hobby grade stirrer that will handle 5 gallons, a large capacity lab grade one will set you back around $1k
Yeah I think you're right, I was doing research and saw prices ranged from $25 and way up from there so was thinking maybe someone here might have an idea.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once dissolved I don't see any settling. It takes a bit to get it all dissolved.

I use THIS to mix it and it works just fine. It takes at least an hour to dissolve - I am only using very small magnet stirrers though since that all I have. A larger one may make shorter work of it all.

OP
OP
Reefnman2

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once dissolved I don't see any settling. It takes a bit to get it all dissolved.

I use THIS to mix it and it works just fine. It takes at least an hour to dissolve - I am only using very small magnet stirrers though since that all I have. A larger one may make shorter work of it all.
This is some good info, thanks. How much do you mix up and aprox. how long does it last?

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the instructions below ( from @Bulk Reef Supply site) to mix up 1L -

It's lasting about a month for me right now with no issues.

1 liter Recipe & Directions
  • Step 1: Starting with a clean container with at least 1 liter capacity, add 750 mL RODI water. Room temp water is ok, but warm water will help dissolve the powder more quickly.
  • Step 2: Slowly add 140g CarboCalcium powder, stir continually.
  • Step 4: Add 12g Bio-Magnesium powder, stir continually.
  • Step 5: Add 100 ml Pro-Trace A-
  • Step 6: Add 100 ml Pro-Trace K+
  • Step 7: Keep stirring. It can take some time for the solution to be clear. Estimate ~20 mins. Solution will be a tint of blue, this is normal.

OP
OP
Reefnman2

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the instructions below ( from @Bulk Reef Supply site) to mix up 1L -

It's lasting about a month for me right now with no issues.

1 liter Recipe & Directions
  • Step 1: Starting with a clean container with at least 1 liter capacity, add 750 mL RODI water. Room temp water is ok, but warm water will help dissolve the powder more quickly.
  • Step 2: Slowly add 140g CarboCalcium powder, stir continually.
  • Step 4: Add 12g Bio-Magnesium powder, stir continually.
  • Step 5: Add 100 ml Pro-Trace A-
  • Step 6: Add 100 ml Pro-Trace K+
  • Step 7: Keep stirring. It can take some time for the solution to be clear. Estimate ~20 mins. Solution will be a tint of blue, this is normal.
Ok thank you, I have a 75 gal. and with my HOB "fuge" and sump about 90 Gal. total so I might not use quite as much then. I appreciate your knowledge, thank you.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
usage will depend on your coral's consumption obviously. I have 300+ gallons in this system but 180 of it is a fish only tank (mean toadfish gets his own tank).

I think if you mix up 1L, store it in a sealed & dark container, you'll be just fine.

U

User1

View Badges
Tropic Marin also has a calculator that will give you the estimated does for the product. I'd put in total water volume and not tank size. There are a few calculators out there that can help by factoring in sump and tank size, rocks, and substrate. It does make a difference.

As already said here a few times when you follow the DIY recipe that is located in the BRS sub forum, and also posted here, people have linked a few affordable mixers and also a beaker. It will make a 1800 ml batch give or take. I just placed an order last week. Ironically enough both beaker and mixer said it wouldn't arrive until April 23. Probably due to shipping priorities. Funny thing is BRS supplies are due tomorrow. Beaker arrived on Saturday. No mixer :). That is dead set not shipping until April 23 - ty Amazon :)

If you really want to make that amount, and it does make sense due to the shelf life, you could grab your cordless drill and DIY a wooden mixing blade and call it a day. I was going to suggest a cement mixing one from HD but do not believe they are stainless steel. But you could DIY using a large paint mixing stick.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following.. I was trying to use by GHL Stirrer.. but without the GHL it needs a power supply.. GHL had too many issues for the doser.. side note..

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back