Does anyone use CO2 for growing phyto?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2014
Messages
25,006
Reaction score
174,208
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know that some people use CO2 for growing macroalgae and for growing plants in freshwater? Have you ever used CO2 (or heard of anyone else using it) to grow phyto? Do commercial phyto growers use CO2? I'm not asking if it is necessary, rather I'm asking if anyone has done it. Thanks!
 
I visited two different shrimp farms that used phytoplankton to feed larvae. Because of high culture density of 1 lb of shrimp per 5G of water both facility used educators to saturate water with fresh air to promote high gas exchange. One farm was operated by Texas A&M at Flour Bluff near Corpus Christie. When I toured that facility, I meant the operations & research manager for a shrimp farm further inland near San Antonio and accepted the invitation for a tour. As part of the hospitality of the tour, the manager netted two pounds of shrimp in one dip. During the next hour, as I drove home to Austin, shrimp jumping in the ice chest was a real distraction because I knew how good they were going to taste.

I know that some people use CO2 for growing macroalgae and for growing plants in freshwater? Have you ever used CO2 (or heard of anyone else using it) to grow phyto? Do commercial phyto growers use CO2? I'm not asking if it is necessary, rather I'm asking if anyone has done it. Thanks!
River,
In high density fish & shrimp cultivation degassers are used to remove excess carbon dioxide and add oxygen. In extreme heat, if the crop is high value, some fish farmers have used oxygen injection to save the harvest. It boils down to economics.

PS: Both mariculture facilities used filtered ambient air for their phytoplankton cultivation vessels.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new