Does copper hurt beneficial bacteria?

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

starting a qt tank so I can hopefully get some nice clownfish.

Obviously it needs to be cycled, but I do have very mature biomedia available.

Will treating the clowns with copper affect the nitrifying bacteria?
I don't want to lose the old biomedia, but I don't want to attempt to treat the clowns for diseases only to have their health badly affected by ammonia spikes.

Any and all responses are much appreciated!

#reefsquad

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its established, much of it will die, but enough will survive to prevent ammonia spikes.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any mature biomedia you use (ie: live rock, etc...) will not be able to be used in your DT after using it in a quarantine tank with copper. I have had not noticed any issues with using copper in my established quarantine tanks when it comes to the nitrifying bacterial colonies. The bacteria still seem to work just fine since they are controlling the ammonia in the tank!

I actually just setup my fish quarantine tanks a few days prior to the expected arrival or purchase of fish...no mature biomedia ever used. I just dose the tank with BioSpira to start and then add a little every day for the first week. I've never had an ammonia spike that wasn't controlled by the BioSpira bacteria in the system. Now, I've only quarantined a maximum of 2 fish at a time, though.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last 10 times I’ve set up a quarantine tank I’ve had zero issues with copper affecting bacterial colonies. Every time I set up, I’ll dump a bottle of biospira on a filter sponge and let it soak for about an hour. Inside the filter with it turned off. So just the sponge inserted and a little saltwater. Enough to cover the sponge. Then I’ll go ahead and turn on the filter. By doing this, I’ve had no issues with my Qt being able to digest 2ppm ammonia in 24 hours. I’ll also add, that I’ve had zero issues with copper levels dosed at 2ppm “per Hanna Checker” effecting bacteria either. I will say, I do add enough biospira in a 20 long to seed a 75 gallon tank. Works like a charm and have never had issues with copper effecting bacteria and then in turn ammonia issues. I’ve never used mature biomedia though. I would make sure you bacteria is healthy enough to process at least 1-2ppm in 24 hours. That would be a good test. That is if you have any ammonium chloride on hand! :) I’ve had really good success using hotrocks method of quarantine.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back