Does dry real reef rock have dead organics?

TReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi this is my first time posting and I just set up my first tank. I used real reef rock to set up and by the time I got it in the mail it was dry. I didn’t think anything of but now I’m scared there are dead organics. My question is if anyone has had experience with this and if so how to fix it.
EF7A0084-DC6D-48D6-8F6C-F0FCFF81D2EB.jpeg
FEB20F61-BB23-4EF6-B003-F469AC2A5556.jpeg

emilio365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say just give a real good rinse in some salt water, and it will be fine. The dead organics will help with the cycling of the tank. Did you buy it as Live Rock?
if it’s in your tank allready then just follow the cycle process.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most live rock gets wrapped in newspaper; it is somewhat wet when it gets boxed up but contains minimal water. Stuff does die off in shipping. Generally, people "cure" the live rock in a container for a week or two to allow this process to complete and then transfer it to a tank. Obviously, some stuff dies off and some lives. There are a couple that are shipped submerged in water and that mitigates a lot of the die off.

OP
OP
TReef

TReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies everyone
Most live rock gets wrapped in newspaper; it is somewhat wet when it gets boxed up but contains minimal water. Stuff does die off in shipping. Generally, people "cure" the live rock in a container for a week or two to allow this process to complete and then transfer it to a tank. Obviously, some stuff dies off and some lives. There are a couple that are shipped submerged in water and that mitigates a lot of the die off.
Unfortunately the shipping took a while and the rock was Fully dry . Not to mention I left it out for a couple of days. I also researched what is on this rock and it is only microalgaes so I have since scrubbed most of it off with a toothbrush and turkey baster.
I would say just give a real good rinse in some salt water, and it will be fine. The dead organics will help with the cycling of the tank. Did you buy it as Live Rock?
if it’s in your tank allready then just follow the cycle process.
I have scrubbed the dead organics just because I don’t want an ammonia spike and deal with algae and nutrient problems. I do have some bottled ammonia to dose for cycling. Thank you for you answer!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back