Does epoxy stick to acrylic wall?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to attach magnets to the inside of the tank’s back wall. It’s to hold up my acrylic background.

I used BSI cyanoacrylic glue, but they magnet pull strength keeps ripping the magnets from the glue.

I tried 2 separate times with the same result.

Today I purchased this epoxy and used super glue to attach epoxy to wall and then I used glue to attach the magnets to the epoxy. Basically…I’m left with this:

image.jpg

Here is the boards:

image.jpg

To put it simply, I’m going to sandwich the board in-between magnets. I am only gluing the magnet that’s on the wall.

Here’s my concern: I noticed the epoxy wanted to slip off the acrylic wall. I’m used to super glue that instantly sticks to surfaces, so I lost my confidence in this. There’s no way the magnets nor epoxy would stick if I didn’t use super glue.

I was able to get the epoxy to make contact with the wall by gently nudging it into the crevices with my finger nail.

Do you think epoxy will work, or will it fall apart just like the super glue?

7DF5CD36-4C28-409C-8204-066D752CA599.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get things to stick to wet dirty surfaces is hard.
Can you place one magnet on the outside of the tank. Sandwich the panel and back glass between the other half of the magnet pair ?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you place one magnet on the outside of the tank. Sandwich the panel and back glass between the other half of the magnet pair ?
I tried that before even considering what I’m doing now, but the acrylic is so thick that it won’t even hold the magnets with 60lbs pull strength. The magnet falls as if nothing is on the other side pulling it.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to see if the epoxy holds better than the glue. I have a couple of thinner acrylics that cover the overflow and the cyanoacrylic glue holds it very well. I couldn’t even pull it off with my hands (I was trying to adjust the placement). Seems like the back acrylic is dirty as you said.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. The epoxy didn’t work. The magnets simply came out from the epoxy case.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need stronger magnets. If the ones you have don't hold and you are trying to glue them, there is no sense in even using the magnets. Could try a couple of dabs of glue on the back of the acrylic and affix it to the back of the tank.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need stronger magnets. If the ones you have don't hold and you are trying to glue them, there is no sense in even using the magnets. Could try a couple of dabs of glue on the back of the acrylic and affix it to the back of the tank.
You’re right. I ordered stronger magnets.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back