Does GPH affect the level of return in AIO sump?

leCHOWDER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Fist post and new to reefing. I have an IM peninsula 20 and I'm trying to get the water level in the sump right for the ato.

Long story short, does the GHP of the pump impact the level in the return? For example, if the return pump is too powerful, will it empty the return baffle before it can fill up? I feel like logically this makes sense but maybe there is the effect of gravity in the display that will overcome this and I'm just doing something wrong, but I want to confirm. Thanks!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!

Generally, the only way the sump could be impacted is if you are trying to pump more water into the tank than the overflow can handle. So if the overflow can handle a max of 100GPH, and you're pumping 110GPH, you will drain the sump. As long as you stay under the rating for your overflow/drain lines, you'll be fine.
Also, make sure you leave enough room in your sump so when you turn off your return pump, or have a power outage, it doesn't overflow as the tank water drains into it.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stay under the rating for your overflow/drain lines, you'll be fine.
Also, make sure you leave enough room in your sump so when you turn off your return pump, or have a power outage, it doesn't overflow as the tank water drains into it.

Agree with this - other than it is an AOI so the only way to flood it is having way too powerful a pump that the overflow cant handle and the DT portion of the AOI could theoretically flood.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back