OP
OP
H

Henn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello big tank world, There are 3 Marine Ponds in my outdoor system(s). Each is only 250 operating gallons. The total is over the 400 gallon mark ( 750 gallons ). They do not support Hard Coral because of Phos. levels. What might be of interest is that they support a huge variety of fish and inverts. Two have Breeding Dwarf Seahorse colonies. There are ricordea, gorgonians, mushrooms, and lots of macro algae. The systems that work here can be made from garden center parts. It would be a huge help if someone adapted the system for use with a big tank. I have been posting about dwarf Seahorses in the seahorse/pipefish forum. This system does not require any active coral. All the Bio activity both aerobic ( nitrite ) and anaerobic ( nitrate ) occurs in the twisted weave of Knitted HDPE Shade Cloth. The ribbons of material overlap to form low oxygen areas. A cocoon of Cloth around a pond pump works here. The cloth protects the larva and the pump output is directed for current. It might be that a standard over tank Phos. Reactor could hold enough cloth to do 50 gallons. It is much faster than live rock. The protein Scimmer can be standard or the Gag Hurler used here. These systems in total use less than 300 watts for all filtration. They are outdoors so the color of the water is Planktonated. The filters run for the pump life without cleaning. The Gack Hurler uses one air pump and a valve to go from 0 to 15 gallon of reject a day. Maybe one roll of cloth ( 100 ft by 8 ) in a 50 gallon poly HDPE Barrel and a big pump would process several thousand gallons based on what is here already. The Gack Hurler does an about 50 g/h so it might need upgrading. Someone called my pond a giant Frag Tank. Some stuff likes it. PS: The last picture about Plankton Colored Water had a surprise, there is a Dwarf Seahorse chilling out by the base of a Gorgonian. Sometimes they escape the corral as fry and grow up in the main tank. They get put back in the corral because the main pond is too rough. I have repatriated 6 in the last week.

a piece of sea.jpg gack skimmer and two bio pots.jpg proof of frag 1.jpg natural water plankton hides true colors.jpg

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! How do you regulate temps and do you cover it when it rains?

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting! Where do you live and how bad is evaporation?

OP
OP
H

Henn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing, that is so unusual!!! I would also love to hear about rain/evap/temp.
Thank you for sharing, that is so unusual!!! I would also love to hear about rain/evap/temp.
Hi all, the basic questions are the same so here is the info:
Temp range 72 f ( 300 watts cuts in at 74 f ) 80 f max rare ( run city water through 1/4 tube in pond ( 300 ft ) then down sewer. With new Solar Sails ( 50 % ) and Poly Covers on hot days ( 100 f ) the temp stays below 78 f in all 3 ponds without cooling.
Evaporation is about 5 gallons uncovered during dry winds. It can stay covered indefinitely. Water loss is topped off with RO water and a float valve. The Poly-carbonate Panels are easy to cut and screw down to the pond edge. they have just enough slope to drain off rain. Two have refugiums made of hanging mesh. Two have floating Seahorse Corrals where they breed. Only lettuce Nudibranch are safe in the Corral. Marine Molly Fish are live bearing feeders for some true marine Fish. They get really big in the ponds. My lobster Norwood used to eat them until he passed.
Salinity 1.025
Nitrite 0
nitrate .5
Phos .6 ( oh my gawd ) mushrooms do well as do Gorgonians, ricordea, and a small resident population of Green Lip Mussels and Black Pacific Mussels. Currently one pond is trying to breed Pencil Urchins, Green Chromis, and Pajama Cardinals. Another pond is crawling with Brittle Stars the size of dinner plates that are hopefully trying to breed. There are no fine filters or Turbo Pumps. This is pelagic friendly system as that surviving seahorse shows. The Current is about 1.5 inches per second over the Ricordea Bed. All the stuff really Pops under Frag Store lighting. Here my UV Lamp makes the ( clear ) water go solid Acid Green. This system is great for freshening stuff and rotating a display tank. It also can recycle tank water ( exchange ) or be a backup for tank problems.
KT 11.0

I am so blessed.jpg abalone motel No Vacancy.jpg one tenticle salute.jpg security detail officer Norwood.JPG

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back