Does Petco use RODI water in their saltwater displays?

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I visited a Petco that sells saltwater fishes and they had algae everywhere on their tanks. Does Petco use RODI water for their saltwater displays? Or do they use tap water?

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
petco is a corporate business.

Basically if the person doesn't know saltwater, its pretty noticeable instantly. They follow very basic guidelines and so much as a piece of rock being introduce in their system can lead to a bloom they don't know what to do about regardless of the water source.

I don't know what their water source is, but it likely doesn't matter. More likely conditioned tap will kill the fish directly.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add to my previous comment;

My petco isn't allowed to be sent lionfish at all.

Reason: the general manager got stung cause no one told them lionfish were venomous.

In other words don't expect competence, I've considered working for one but idk how dragged down I'd be from the corporate policies not letting me take some liberties in how I care for stuff.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add to my previous comment;

My petco isn't allowed to be sent lionfish at all.

Reason: the general manager got stung cause no one told them lionfish were venomous.

In other words don't expect competence, I've considered working for one but idk how dragged down I'd be from the corporate policies not letting me take some liberties in how I care for stuff.
That is very interesting. I would like to think that your PetCo would have Lionfish since the GM has experienced a sting and they should be able to instruct new employees about the seriousness of handling these fishes properly.

I wish I could have been there for that mishap. Is that wrong of me?
life sciences fish GIF

:face-blowing-a-kiss::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::smiling-face-with-sunglasses::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local petco has a fish guy that knows his stuff. All tanks are immaculate, have never seen ich or any sick fish in the tanks, and they do use RO/DI, and sell both salt and RO/DI.

I have bought many very healthy fish at a great price from them.

Every petco is different. It all depends on the person taking care of the aquarium dept.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local petco has a fish guy that knows his stuff. All tanks are immaculate, have never seen ich or any sick fish in the tanks, and they do use RO/DI, and sell both salt and RO/DI.

I have bought many very healthy fish at a great price from them.

Every petco is different. It all depends on the person taking care of the aquarium dept.
+1… depends on ‘fish manager’… there are probably more than 10 Petcos less than 45 minutes from my home… maybe 3 are worth checking out, if I’m in the area.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1… depends on ‘fish manager’… there are probably more than 10 Petcos less than 45 minutes from my home… maybe 3 are worth checking out, if I’m in the area.
No kidding!

One petco I go to is actually managed by a guy that used to own an LFS I used to go to(very knowledgeable guy). That store is immaculate in regards to the aquarium dept.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 PetCo stores within an hour from me and the quality between them is night and day. One of them is ran by a hobbyist and the tanks are immaculate. It’s the only PetCo that I’ve been to that sells acropora. One of the stores I wouldn’t even consider buying anything from. So in my experience how nice the fish department is changes by wether the person running it cares or if it is just a job for them.

As for the original question I believe I’ve seen a rodi filter in the cabinet near the sink at one of the stores. Probably a better question would be does anyone actually change the filters/membranes when they need replaced.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very interesting. I would like to think that your PetCo would have Lionfish since the GM has experienced a sting and they should be able to instruct new employees about the seriousness of handling these fishes properly.

I wish I could have been there for that mishap. Is that wrong of me?
life sciences fish GIF

:face-blowing-a-kiss::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::smiling-face-with-sunglasses::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

You should've been there for the 'urchin experience.' It was like one of those cartoon episodes were two people get glued together.

I learned about that lionfish incident during my bonding experience with the GM... they stuck the urchin I was buying into one of those hang-on containers while they filled the bag.

...this was a rock boring urchin and it glued itself into the corner of the container (they sold it as something else to me), neither of us could remove it for 10 minutes straight until they just gave me the container itself to bring home.

So I guess this is mine now.

1693915058577.png

culprit:

1693915071802.png

I got it off by blowing on it with my baster and lifting with my finger at the same time, eventually it crawled out of the corner from the baster and I was able to dislodge it.

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 193 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back