Does quarantine help or really hurt the fish?

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all about risk....you risk putting them in the tank and losing everything to Velvet if you don't quarantine. If you don't do quarantine correctly (or even if you do) you risk stressing the fish to the point of death. Assess your risk and do what is best in your situation.

Here's another thought: buy fish from sources that quarantine. Will cost more but worth every penny. Again, still a risk there but it is definitely minimized.

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing some reading on Probiotics in Aquaculture. There is even a product for aquarium use. "I think" this is what PaulB has been doing for decades.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I think" this is what PaulB has been doing for decades.
Actually I do not use anything from a bottle, box or can in my tank. If you feed correctly which means some live foods such as worms or fresh or freshly frozen clams you do not need pro biotics, Selcon, vitamins or anything else, unless you like throwing money away. :cool:

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did some interesting reading on probiotics in fish aquaculture. PaulB, you were/are definitely ahead of your time! Science is just catching up to you. It seems from the reading we can even add Lactobacillus rhamnosus to fish food. It's a human probiotic you can buy in pill form.

Here is an article with an actual product for fish.

Actually I do not use anything from a bottle, box or can in my tank. If you feed correctly which means some live foods such as worms or fresh or freshly frozen clams you do not need pro biotics, Selcon, vitamins or anything else, unless you like throwing money away. :cool:
Yes, Apologies and good catch. I didn't mean to say using anything from a bottle. That article just so happens to be selling a product, but I think the information in it relates to what you have been doing. Live gut bacteria boost the immune system of fish.....and humans! That product being sold might do the same thing and it's actually quite cheap, but I also prefer to get the bacteria from a living source. I just purchased a starter culture of white worms and I'm feeding them live yogurt and nutritional yeast (prebiotic) on wheat bread. Hopefully, these will make it into the fish.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantining definitely hurts fish and kills many of them, but I am trying hard not to get involved in these threads any longer. Have a great day. :cool:

But on a side note USMC 4 LIFE, thank you for your service.....I was Army but don't hold that against me. :D

Was waiting for Paul B to comment hahaha. ;)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quote:
I would really be interested in what the Aquabiomics “E-dna” and Microbiome test would say about your tank. That would super interesting!!!!! :D I’m guessing you have the oldest tank on here!!!

I found the Microbiome Analysis of my tank if you are interested.

Attachments

• Microbiome Analysis Report (1).pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 43

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back