Does salt go bad?

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so my tank hasn't been looking its best lately. And I've been doing water changes but I don't think the chemistry has been right.

If salt hardends can it go bad?

Can it go bad in general?

I'm using tropic Marin BIO ACTIF

OP
OP
Fatmike92

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take that back. SPS look really good, Polyps are out and everything. Zoas open nice and big. (Except my red hornets have been closed for the past 2 days) its just some of my chalices that don't look that good. I've lost 1

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered testing a fresh batch of saltwater? When my tank was a little off, I found that the batch of salt I had received was bad. The alkalinity was SUPER low and the effects could be seen in my tank.

always reefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered testing a fresh batch of saltwater? When my tank was a little off, I found that the batch of salt I had received was bad. The alkalinity was SUPER low and the effects could be seen in my tank.

+1 you need to test a fresh mixed batch of salt. You should always know the parameters anyways

Montrosereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt can go bad. I threw away a harden bad salt with alk of 2.7 dkh. I was lucky to test it before putting it in the tank

OP
OP
Fatmike92

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never make this mistake again. I gues I should put this on the noob thread :(

Cjscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say you should test new saltwater, do you mean test the first batch of saltwater that you make with new salt or test every batch of saltwater everytime?

SPSjunky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ I test every batch everytime just to be sure.Ive dumped batches of water just because I wasnt getting the readings I like.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say you should test new saltwater, do you mean test the first batch of saltwater that you make with new salt or test every batch of saltwater everytime?

I always test the first batch of a new container of salt and at least every other batch after that.

OP
OP
Fatmike92

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it does go bad is the answer! or you can get a bad batch! thats what happend to me!

Cjscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it does go bad is the answer! or you can get a bad batch! thats what happend to me!
I think I might have a bad batch right now, my lps has been on the decline and I haven't been able to figure it out, looked at my CC statement today and bought a new bucket of salt right before I remember the trouble starting.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back