Does salt go bad?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fatmike92
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
4,888
Reaction score
4,487
Location
Columbus, ohio
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so my tank hasn't been looking its best lately. And I've been doing water changes but I don't think the chemistry has been right.

If salt hardends can it go bad?

Can it go bad in general?

I'm using tropic Marin BIO ACTIF
 
I take that back. SPS look really good, Polyps are out and everything. Zoas open nice and big. (Except my red hornets have been closed for the past 2 days) its just some of my chalices that don't look that good. I've lost 1
 
Have you considered testing a fresh batch of saltwater? When my tank was a little off, I found that the batch of salt I had received was bad. The alkalinity was SUPER low and the effects could be seen in my tank.
 
Have you considered testing a fresh batch of saltwater? When my tank was a little off, I found that the batch of salt I had received was bad. The alkalinity was SUPER low and the effects could be seen in my tank.

+1 you need to test a fresh mixed batch of salt. You should always know the parameters anyways
 
Salt can go bad. I threw away a harden bad salt with alk of 2.7 dkh. I was lucky to test it before putting it in the tank
 
I will never make this mistake again. I gues I should put this on the noob thread :(
 
When you say you should test new saltwater, do you mean test the first batch of saltwater that you make with new salt or test every batch of saltwater everytime?
 
^ I test every batch everytime just to be sure.Ive dumped batches of water just because I wasnt getting the readings I like.
 
When you say you should test new saltwater, do you mean test the first batch of saltwater that you make with new salt or test every batch of saltwater everytime?

I always test the first batch of a new container of salt and at least every other batch after that.
 
yes it does go bad is the answer! or you can get a bad batch! thats what happend to me!
 
yes it does go bad is the answer! or you can get a bad batch! thats what happend to me!
I think I might have a bad batch right now, my lps has been on the decline and I haven't been able to figure it out, looked at my CC statement today and bought a new bucket of salt right before I remember the trouble starting.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new