Does salt mix have anything to do with pH?

ThunderGoose

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 25, 2016
Messages
938
Reaction score
1,176
Location
Beverly, Mass
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set my tank up last December and I'm doing a one year re-evaluation to see if there are things I can improve. I use IO reef crystal and my tank pH has been consistently 7.8 - 7.9, regardless of windows open or closed and even after I added a macroalgae refugium. I don't want to chase pH but I'd like to see it a bit higher.

So, my question: does the salt mix you use have any effect on pH? I'd love to have folks chime in with their pH and salt brand.

thanks.
 
I set my tank up last December and I'm doing a one year re-evaluation to see if there are things I can improve. I use IO reef crystal and my tank pH has been consistently 7.8 - 7.9, regardless of windows open or closed and even after I added a macroalgae refugium. I don't want to chase pH but I'd like to see it a bit higher.

So, my question: does the salt mix you use have any effect on pH? I'd love to have folks chime in with their pH and salt brand.

thanks.

Not really.

pH is determine mathematically by the carbon dioxide level in the tank (usually driven by the home air levels of CO2) and the carbonate alkalinity.

Assuming the salt mix is not controlling the alkalinity, then the salt mix brand won't matter.
 
Thanks, Randy. I knew you'd know the answer. It's great having a chemist on here for these sorts of questions.
 
Thanks, Randy. I knew you'd know the answer. It's great having a chemist on here for these sorts of questions.

You're welcome and thanks!

Happy Reefing. :)
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new