Does salt mix have anything to do with pH?

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set my tank up last December and I'm doing a one year re-evaluation to see if there are things I can improve. I use IO reef crystal and my tank pH has been consistently 7.8 - 7.9, regardless of windows open or closed and even after I added a macroalgae refugium. I don't want to chase pH but I'd like to see it a bit higher.

So, my question: does the salt mix you use have any effect on pH? I'd love to have folks chime in with their pH and salt brand.

thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set my tank up last December and I'm doing a one year re-evaluation to see if there are things I can improve. I use IO reef crystal and my tank pH has been consistently 7.8 - 7.9, regardless of windows open or closed and even after I added a macroalgae refugium. I don't want to chase pH but I'd like to see it a bit higher.

So, my question: does the salt mix you use have any effect on pH? I'd love to have folks chime in with their pH and salt brand.

thanks.

Not really.

pH is determine mathematically by the carbon dioxide level in the tank (usually driven by the home air levels of CO2) and the carbonate alkalinity.

Assuming the salt mix is not controlling the alkalinity, then the salt mix brand won't matter.

OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Randy. I knew you'd know the answer. It's great having a chemist on here for these sorts of questions.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Randy. I knew you'd know the answer. It's great having a chemist on here for these sorts of questions.

You're welcome and thanks!

Happy Reefing. :)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 34 60.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back