Doe's the hardenberg anchovy/Indian anchovy contain thiaminase?

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my bigger tessalata eel mackerel whole so it's easier for me to inject some vitamins in the whole fish but I can't seem to feed the whole fish to my other eel since he's smaller and upon reading the chart listed for fish with thiaminase I didn't seem to see this species of anchovy in the list so I just wanted to ask, does this species contain thiaminase?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my bigger tessalata eel mackerel whole so it's easier for me to inject some vitamins in the whole fish but I can't seem to feed the whole fish to my other eel since he's smaller and upon reading the chart listed for fish with thiaminase I didn't seem to see this species of anchovy in the list so I just wanted to ask, does this species contain thiaminase?

I don't know about that species specifically, but in general, fish in the Engraulidae family do contain thiaminase. The question then is, how much, and does the fish's diet offer enough B1 to overcome this? Without actually running samples, there is no way to know that.

In general, it is always a good idea to supplement carnivorous fish with B1 and vitamin E. I use Mazuri ThaiminE paste, but that is not routinely available to home aquarists.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back