Does this clown have brook or velvet?

Angelo Fatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have him in a copper treated qt tank currently and am curious if this clown has brook or velvet as I've never dealt with it before, only ich. Any feedback is appreciated.

20231012_135304.jpg
20231012_135218.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It does not look like velvet. Without more history - Its impossible to say what it might have.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have him in a copper treated qt tank currently and am curious if this clown has brook or velvet as I've never dealt with it before, only ich. Any feedback is appreciated.

20231012_135304.jpg
20231012_135218.jpg
There are signs of both brook and aggression. The dots on the back suggest secondary bacterial lesions which starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus. Temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.

OP
OP
Angelo Fatica

Angelo Fatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not look like velvet. Without more history - Its impossible to say what it might have.
A little history is right after the clown was added to the display he was not eating and breathing heavily and had what looked like bubbles on his skin like extra mucus. The other clown he was with was fine at the time. Then this guy made a full recovery and the spots dwindled and he started eating very well again. At the same time, the other clown developed very heavy breathing and didn't swim much or eat for about a week until it died. Then this clown started to get the mucus spots again like in the photos so I started a copper qt tank for him as its all ive ever known to do since ive only ever dealt with ich. It is my brother's fish and I am doing the qt for him.

OP
OP
Angelo Fatica

Angelo Fatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are signs of both brook and aggression. The dots on the back suggest secondary bacterial lesions which starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus. Temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
Should a freshwater dip be performed before treatment with the ruby rally? This is the only fish in the tank and he is going to be out for 6 weeks planned. Is there a resource that you recommend for treatment of whatever bacterial issue he is experiencing?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Should a freshwater dip be performed before treatment with the ruby rally? This is the only fish in the tank and he is going to be out for 6 weeks planned. Is there a resource that you recommend for treatment of whatever bacterial issue he is experiencing?
FW dip would be optional. If clown breathing normal, you can. If rapid breathing, I would not recommend it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I kind of just panicked as I've only dealt with ich before and the other clown had passed quickly. Will try formalin. 37% correct?
And formalin is really toxic, use it with care. Some people won’t use it in their homes.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back