Does this look like brook?

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 9 redline anthias in qt that completed hybrid ttm and gone into observation qt. After 3 days In observation I noticed them being less active, rapid breathing, hiding and a few flashing. Thinking it might be velvet, I did a transfer to a new qt and started to treat with copper. Got the copper power to 1.25 by the next day (today) and noticed they have what looks like brook.
I did a 60min formalin bath and into a new qt treated with metroplex.
they seem to be doing much better, no rapid breathing and more active already, except for one. But a few of them still show some skin peeling on them. Just want to make sure I’m dealing with brook and what my next steps in treatment should be. I’m concerned with them still exhibiting skin peeling symptoms after formalin.
here are a few pics before the formalin bath. There were so many skin particles in the tank and attached to the filter intake. @Jay Hemdal
This is brook correct?
6DAEC99E-7136-4FEE-A808-86FABC3709B0.jpeg

69060BBD-B19E-46A6-AABC-B7D7146862AE.jpeg
D4E058C2-5DCF-4762-B714-74CD528891B4.jpeg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it does look like Brooklynella and sounds like the formalin bath improved their health tremendously since they are back to breathing correctly.

Maybe monitor and see how they improve.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 9 redline anthias in qt that completed hybrid ttm and gone into observation qt. After 3 days In observation I noticed them being less active, rapid breathing, hiding and a few flashing. Thinking it might be velvet, I did a transfer to a new qt and started to treat with copper. Got the copper power to 1.25 by the next day (today) and noticed they have what looks like brook.
I did a 60min formalin bath and into a new qt treated with metroplex.
they seem to be doing much better, no rapid breathing and more active already, except for one. But a few of them still show some skin peeling on them. Just want to make sure I’m dealing with brook and what my next steps in treatment should be. I’m concerned with them still exhibiting skin peeling symptoms after formalin.
here are a few pics before the formalin bath. There were so many skin particles in the tank and attached to the filter intake. @Jay Hemdal
This is brook correct?
6DAEC99E-7136-4FEE-A808-86FABC3709B0.jpeg

69060BBD-B19E-46A6-AABC-B7D7146862AE.jpeg
D4E058C2-5DCF-4762-B714-74CD528891B4.jpeg
That does look like mucus cast off of the fish from a Brooklynella infection. Try to siphon all that out if you can. You may need to continue the formalin dips, since the fish have to be returned to the infected tank as opposed to moving them to a fresh one after the dip. Just be sure you aerate the dip well.

Jay

OP
OP
lagatbezan

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look like mucus cast off of the fish from a Brooklynella infection. Try to siphon all that out if you can. You may need to continue the formalin dips, since the fish have to be returned to the infected tank as opposed to moving them to a fresh one after the dip. Just be sure you aerate the dip well.

Jay
Thank you jay for your reply. They were moved into a new qt after the dip and I have added metroplex as well.

nkarisny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it does look like Brooklynella and sounds like the formalin bath improved their health tremendously since they are back to breathing correctly.

Maybe monitor and see how they improve.
how many baths at 30-60 min ,i have 37% formaldehyde and dosing 12 drops in a gallon w air stone?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many baths at 30-60 min ,i have 37% formaldehyde and dosing 12 drops in a gallon w air stone?
Yes, the dose is 12 drops per gallon. Match the dip water temp with that from where the fish comes.

Dip for 30-45min and watch closely for heavy breathing. If heavy breathing occurs, then stop at 30 min. You can go up to an hour though... if the fish is handling it well. Aerate heavily about 30 min before treatment and during the treatment.

You can repeat dips, but give the fish at least 48hrs bergen dips. Best to follow up the dip with another type of treatment... in this case, Metrodonizole every 48hrs for 10-14 days. Then keep in an observation tank for a couple weeks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%

Back