Does this look like pinched mantel disease?

D&D Fishery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got an aquacultured ultra crocea clam about 3 weeks ago. The clam has been doing great however 5 days ago I notticed this one area of the mantle where it appears to curl over a little. The area still fully extends and there is no mucous discharge coming from the clam. To be honest it does not show when the lights ramp up throughout the day only as the clam retracts mor of its mantle at night as the lights ramp down. It honestly looks as through the mantle is almost growing and creating a bigger fold. Im just paranoid and would like some second opinions. Like i said the mantle fully extends during the day and the area is not retracted during the day and there is no discharge noted. I already run carbon but have read that running more carbon is the first step of treatment before resorting to a freshwater dip (which would be my last resort if this is PMD). There are no other areas of the clam that appear out of the ordinary. Appreciate any thoughts and positive advice. I have attached picture below.

IMG_2977.jpeg IMG_2978.jpeg IMG_2976.jpeg IMG_2974.jpeg IMG_2975.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I don't think its pmd.

On another note, I see you have the clam at the same level as zoa's, but the clam needs much stronger light than zoa's. Even the zoa's look to me like they are stretching for light.

Keep an eye on the clam, it should always have a clear white line of growth at the top of its shell, if you don't see that white line, then its in trouble.

OP
OP
D&D Fishery

D&D Fishery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I don't think its pmd.

On another note, I see you have the clam at the same level as zoa's, but the clam needs much stronger light than zoa's. Even the zoa's look to me like they are stretching for light.

Keep an eye on the clam, it should always have a clear white line of growth at the top of its shell, if you don't see that white line, then its in trouble.
The angle of the photo is a little bit off the clam sits a little bit higher than the Zoas by a half inch I did take a power measurement after getting my AI blade. I was using my friends, older model, par meter, and it was reading about 250 par. However, my friend did say that his par meter would often under report Compared to newer more accurate models. Therefore, I do intend on renting a more updated model from my local fish store and retesting. As far as the Zoas go I have acclimated and keep my zoas at a higher light intensity I find that they do better. The Zoas in the photo were recently added and haven’t fully acclimated so they are a tad outstretched

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen true pmd in years. The supply chain seemed to do a good job rooting it out with FW dips and since those treads remain when it was such a problem many people jump to dipping clams that have no issues, or perhaps fish picking on them, and do more harm than good with dips.

I think the clam looks great. They often have some areas that don’t extend fully, but just keep eye on the spot and leave it alone and unless fish nipping it will be ok. Just watch to make sure it it’s really pmd it doesn’t progress.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back