Does wave mode cause significant stress to the tank?

ikanayam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been wondering about this for a while and have not seen any thread around this.

Does the rocking motion of wave mode on wave maker like the MPs, Tunzes,Jebaos add significant stress to the silicon seams of a glass tank? In wave mode it seems that the constant wave energy move from one side of the tank to the other similar to how a wave on the beach crashes against the shore, and those definitely impact significant amounts of energy.

Especially if the wave maker is pointed to only one side or the front of the tank, vs having two pointed at each other causing a more chaotic dispersion of the energy.

I'm wondering if the tanks we have are designed to withstand the constant motion generated by these wave makers in wave mode.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read about this some time ago. If I remember correctly older tanks where not designed to handle this how ever the bracing around top and bottom help prevent anything from happening.
When rimless came out I believe there where issues but now all good tank makers know that we run wave makers and what not in the tank. I could be wrong on this as it was a years ago that I seen a thread on it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was something that got brought up many years ago when wave makers first came onto the market. I think time has proven it to be a red herring. Though custom tanks are certainly a jump up in quality, I think modern, mass market tanks are of inferior quality to the older ones. I think anyone that owned/owns an Oceanic tank, for example, would be hard pressed to find something of comparable quality from the current Aqueon or Marineland lineup.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was something that got brought up many years ago when wave makers first came onto the market. I think time has proven it to be a red herring. Though custom tanks are certainly a jump up in quality, I think modern, mass market tanks are of inferior quality to the older ones. I think anyone that owned/owns an Oceanic tank, for example, would be hard pressed to find something of comparable quality from the current Aqueon or Marineland lineup.
I miss my oceanic 180. Marineland seem to have the most problems

OP
OP
I

ikanayam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Deep Sea Aquatic which I think was made by some of the same folks that were at the original Oceanic before they merged with AGA. It's built very nicely.

Back