Does your interest in the Reef Hobby fade during Spring/Summer with warmer weather?

Does your interest in the Reef Hobby fade during Spring/Summer with warmer weather?

• Yes

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • other - explain

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely used to as outside activities would claim my attention.
One thing that helped that was me moving my reef from an obscure corner in the wall to a prominent place in the living room as soon as you walk in our door. I do not want anyone who visits to see a neglected fish tank.
The other thing that helped was me being honest with myself with the amount of maintenance that I was willing to do and choose my livestock accordingly.

AKreefgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope! I would be living in the islands and diving daily to be part of the reef if I could. A tank in my living room is as close as I can get to that, so I am just as interested in summer as winter.

ATAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ours doesn’t, being that we aquaculture, so we couldn’t afford to slack off at any point. But, summer and spring definitely are the slow season sales wise in the hobby, so with that, I’d imagine that says most ppl do lose interest during these points.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said yes because I don't have the desire to do projects on the reef like I do in the winter. My projects are all outside instead. My love of the reef itself is still the same though.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see all of the cold winter weather people wanting to get out in the summer. It's the opposite for me in Florida. I do more reef stuff in summer.
I golf almost everyday. Winter time golf in afternoon. Summer golf early morning. I have the rest of the day to do reef stuff.

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm outside just as much during the coldest weather as much as during the hottest summer day - air conditioning feels good too, but nothing stops me from going out. I don't know how I'd make it through the darkest of December, January and February without my reef, but I don't spend more time looking at it, I just appreciate it more.

I do think coral purchases end up restricted more to cold weather, just because other people are focused on their reefs, and I've never seen a summer swap close to the size of the winter swaps. I am more likely to buy fish during Spring and Fall, especially if they are shipped, as I feel bad having Fish go via FedEx below 20F or over 90F.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cold, dark winters do drive me indoors. I would say it's more lack of light outside than the temperatures themselves. When spring, summer and fall come it is a relief and an excitement to once again do those outdoor activities that just aren't practical during the winter months.

I wouldn't say I loose interest in the reefing hobby during those months, rather it is me taking advantage of the seasonal activities. I know that when winter returns in a few months I will be spending more time with my tank.

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, no. I love my tank year round. However, I'm about to give up over aptasia. Can't for the life of me get a grip on getting rid of these pests and they are killing my coral... 1 problem after another...

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other...

My interest does not fade but my time moves around.
I'm an avid motorcycle rider. Spring, summer is riding season time!

I dedicate a lot more time to my bikes during the spring and summer.

I still take care of my reef but I'm not home nearly as much in the spring and summer.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My interest in the tanks doesn't decline in the warmer months, but I do tend to spend more time away when it's warm. Camping and traveling will keep me away for a few days at a time and the tanks are forced to go on autopilot. First thing I do when I get home though is to give the tanks the attention they deserve.

Back