Dolphins and Rainbows (Cade 1800 S2, aka Bacon Reef)

OP
OP
Bacon and Eggs

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous tank!! Just one question, won’t it be hard to access the window behind the tank? Best of luck on your salty journey!
It’s actually in front of exterior doors! I live in this beach house where almost every wall has doors in the main floor. I thought I didn’t have a place for a tank this size, but I blocked these redundant doors to the side of the house that no one uses making it look like windows. Fortunately, there is very little light that comes in there. I can access the back of the tank via the doors if needed too. It worked out.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s actually in front of exterior doors! I live in this beach house where almost every wall has doors in the main floor. I thought I didn’t have a place for a tank this size, but I blocked these redundant doors to the side of the house that no one uses making it look like windows. Fortunately, there is very little light that comes in there. I can access the back of the tank via the doors if needed too. It worked out.
That is awesome! I would love to have a door to the back of my tank!

OP
OP
Bacon and Eggs

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome! I would love to have a door to the back of my tank!
My house doesn’t have a lot of natural places for tanks, but this actually works out very well and is still aesthetically pleasing. There is also a little Harry Potter style closet under the nearby stairs. I think I’ll actually utilize that closet for gear and eventually maybe put a mixing station in there for automatic water changes. I’m not in a rush to do all that though. It’s a lot of freaking money getting things started from zero.

OP
OP
Bacon and Eggs

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to post a vid of my first hitchhiker. Doesn’t seem to work? Edit: This was a gecko that I found swimming in the tank. Came in on the rock work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bacon and Eggs

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. The aquascape was created over the course of about 4-5 weeks using a combination of Marco rocks, epoxy, mortar and super glue.
2. Tank (Cade 1800 S2) was filled 12/31/23
3. Cycle started Wed 1/4 using Dr Tim’s. Currently Day 3.
4. No refugium or skimmer yet. No media in the sump.
5. Yet to purchase or install the 3rd AP9X.
6. Much more to purchase, but I have everything needed for this stage. Starting from zero.
7. This will be a mixed reef. Focus will be on corals and smallish fish. You’ll see I did not take take a minimalist approach with the rock work. Although it’s definitely NSA and less rock than you would think at 1st glance. Next post I’ll discuss some preliminary fish stocking I’m considering and entertain some new ideas if anyone cares to share their likes.
IMG_2768.jpeg
IMG_2790.jpeg
IMG_2799.jpeg
IMG_2803.jpeg
IMG_2804.jpeg
IMG_2807.jpeg
IMG_2805.jpeg
IMG_2806.jpeg
IMG_2812.jpeg
IMG_2818.jpeg
IMG_2820.jpeg
IMG_2821.jpeg
IMG_2822.jpeg

OP
OP
Bacon and Eggs

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notes:

12/31- tank filled with water and dry rock

1/4- live sand, special grade. Dosed with Dr Tim’s and ~1 ppm with Dr Tim’s Ammonium Chloride solution. No measurements.

1/6- total ammonia ~1ppm. Dosed some more Dr Tim’s this time ~ 2 ppm of the ammonium chloride solution

1/7- total ammonia > 2 ppm, ph 7.8 (Red Sea for all). Started daily dosing of microbacter7.

1/8- total ammonia ~ 2 ppm, nitrate 1 ppm

1/10- total ammonia 0.2 ppm, nitrate 5 ppm. Fish ordered. ~ 20% water change.

1/11- total ammonia < 0.1 ppm, nitrate ~ 3.5 ppm. I deemed “cycled”. Microbacter7 bottled finished.

1/12- 2 clownfish arrived and put in DT. Others in the initial order delayed until next week.

1/13- total ammonia 0, nitrate 2

Things going smoothly so far. Retrospectively, probably would have dosed even less ammonium chloride in the beginning after reading this guys (brandon429) posts and my own research as I cycled. ~30 lbs of premium live rock TBS coming at the end of the month. Wish I could have done more live rock, but the flexibility of aquascape design with the dry rock pushed me down that road.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bacon and Eggs

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving all the fish in there!
Thanks, lost a couple, but mostly good luck so far. I’ll try to get some better quality shots when I can. Stocking up on some CUC the last couple of weeks, which I’ve been deficient in. Mostly inverts, but also got.a Lawnmower Blenny which is in a 10 QT. He just arrived at the lfs the day before I purchased. He’s a bit shellshocked. Trying to get him to eat.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back