Don’t buy eshopps skimmers

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys I've been using Eshopps stuff for many years, actively running 2 eshopps skimmers and a 3rd hob I use for special situations; I love their stuff. And not to be a smart alec, is your tank running on a gfi circuit, my tanks would have shut immediately shut down. All products fail, all products have issues.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I just wanted to share my experience and if one person stop buying from them I’ll be happy... I’m not the only person that had a bad experience with them ..........

And if I get help another reefer why not..... I’m just glade my dogs and kid are fine ..... my dogs could’ve died of smoke inhalation...... then I would’ve pursued legal matters....... it’s just sad that I’m trying to help out a fellow reefers and there Portraying me to be the bad one for not clean my pump ...
I’m so sorry for your loss it is very sad to loose so much. We would be devastated our fish and reef mean as much to us as our other pets if not more! I’m also sorry you have had not nice comments when your trying to help others by sharing your experience. Thank you for sharing and I hope you feel better. I will not by their stuff. I hope you can start over down the road.

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry for your loss it is very sad to loose so much. We would be devastated our fish and reef mean as much to us as our other pets if not more! I’m also sorry you have had not nice comments when your trying to help others by sharing your experience. Thank you for sharing and I hope you feel better. I will not by their stuff. I hope you can start over down the road.

Thank you ... I glad someone see I’m just trying to help others ... I have other tanks ... all with eshopps Products.... but I rather throw them out then use it .....

I’m glad my home and pets are fine

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after you sent the pump back to Eshopps or Sicce, what was the cause of the malfunction?

They didn’t want it back they said it malfunction... and that was that like I said .... no human emotions.... after she started yelling at me .. I ask to speak to a supervisor and she said I’m the only person that I can speak too .... I said wow ....

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry for your situation and losses...

That said, let this be a lesson to the OP and everyone reading this thread. The potential fire in his sump from the burning pump could have most likely been prevented had a proper GFCI outlet or GFCI outlet adapter been used.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost, thank you for the heads up.

And as mentioned in a previous posts, homeowners insurance is the way to go as technically, you DID have a fire. Please give them a call and see what they tell you. I think it is a good idea since your insurance company will replace items lost in a fire. I'd like to see how that goes. Additionally, just because they SAY they are not responsible, doesn't mean that they are NOT responsible.

While that skimmer does look like it is suffering from a lack of love, your problem was an electrical fire in a sealed pump, so I am inclined to think it is a manufacturer defect.

Sicce has a great reputation and countless pumps out there. However, no one bats 1000 and I would definitely contact them too.

Good Luck

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If sicce made the pump and it faulted then why is it all on eshopps? I get your frustrated and maybe there customer service isn't great but have you reached out to sicce? Unfortunately things happen when you combine electricity and saltwater and it's good your letting everyone know as to prevent other accidents from happening but this can happen to any pump that isn't maintained or is faulty. Why the hate specifically for eshoppes?

If I own a CHEVY, and the water pump fails, I don't go to the manufacturer of the water pump, I go to CHEVY.

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I own a CHEVY, and the water pump fails, I don't go to the manufacturer of the water pump, I go to CHEVY.

I couldn’t of said it better myself... they new about this problem because I ask and she said oh ... I ask if she has heard of this problem before she said .............no (any hesitating manner).... I said you sure ... she said something like that has happened before but “not he same” ‍♂️

I knew they weren’t going to give me anything back but just the fact they way I was talk to the Blayne disrespect...

Then I was offered a new pump after I showed her pictures of all my dead fish and coral ....

I told her I you sent me this pump after the last one fails too ... I don’t need a news pump ....

That’s when she snap screaming “what do you want me to do!!!”

I was already tick off then she’s going to yell at me !!!

Tjakes680

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This whole situation sucks i would have told her what to do with her pump! Everyone should take head in this story it can happen to anyone with any equipment how any reefer could critise is amazing im really sorry for your loss

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This whole situation sucks i would have told her what to do with her pump! Everyone should take head in this story it can happen to anyone with any equipment how any reefer could critise is amazing im really sorry for your loss

Thank you for your sympathy I really appreciate it.... but I’m not surprised there’s always someone at least one that will always have a negative comment to say but if it happens to them they would be the ones crying and complaining and so forth

I’m just trying to let people know was going on and as Sandy state is “go ahead if you want to talk about us we’re sorry you feel that way”

After I refused their skimmer and pump and the fact that she had a throw in there or not giving you the newest model we’re giving you another one ‍♂️

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was suggesting to reach out to see if they had any faults with there pumps, is that so bad? and I'm sorry but this is a skimmer, not a car. You can hate on the brand all you want, there's still personal responsibility that needs to be addressed. This is a tragedy and again, I feel bad but there's many things we can all learn from this, not just "don't buy eshopps"

Scott Weinrich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your sympathy I really appreciate it.... but I’m not surprised there’s always someone at least one that will always have a negative comment to say but if it happens to them they would be the ones crying and complaining and so forth

I’m just trying to let people know was going on and as Sandy state is “go ahead if you want to talk about us we’re sorry you feel that way”

After I refused their skimmer and pump and the fact that she had a throw in there or not giving you the newest model we’re giving you another one ‍♂️

What would you like eshopps to do about this issue? They offered replacement pump/skimmer and you refused. What is a resolution that you would find acceptable?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was suggesting to reach out to see if they had any faults with there pumps, is that so bad? and I'm sorry but this is a skimmer, not a car. You can hate on the brand all you want, there's still personal responsibility that needs to be addressed. This is a tragedy and again, I feel bad but there's many things we can all learn from this, not just "don't buy eshopps"

I was only making a counter point, not attacking you're suggestion. I have eshopps product running in my setups and I have been happy with them. I certainly am not going to stop using the product on the basis of one bad experience, as terrible as it is.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you like eshopps to do about this issue? They offered replacement pump/skimmer and you refused. What is a resolution that you would find acceptable?

Great question and one which I second... What do you feel would be a satisfactory resolution?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, have you contacted your homeowners insurance? As I see it, you DID have a fire. While they may not replace your loss directly, a claim for smoke damage may help you to recover some money toward a rebuild.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was only making a counter point, not attacking you're suggestion. I have eshopps product running in my setups and I have been happy with them. I certainly am not going to stop using the product on the basis of one bad experience, as terrible as it is.
Its a horrible situation all the way around, I couldn't imagine.

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Look online ... there is a lot of people with horrible stories... but it’s up to you ... I’m just showing people my experience

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great question.... I wanted to know if there were other reports of the same problem...then the attitude started....

Because I have more tanks and more people I know with there products that I recommend...

I don’t want to be blame for that ...

Honestly a oh my god we are so sorry would of been enough.... like most Reefers I know the risk of this hobby... and know anything can happen but after the blatant disrespect I refused everything they offer me which is only two things a pump two times and a new skimmer but not the latest model lmaoooo

I am one of the resason they are in business I spend money every year .... I have 4 skimmer and prob holders and dosers and doser box and so on .....

But that’s the last time I will buy or recommend there stuff ...

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also currently have three tanks 300 reef, 180 FO, 93 cube reef, and two quarantine tanks. I don’t have eshope skimmers but one sump and probably some other equipment I don’t even know! But I do really appreciate the information and would not buy their stuff because u had a failure but because how you were treated!!!! We had a 120gal Marineland tank crack end to end spill all water on living room floor. 10am but thank goodness my husband was leaving for work when he heard the crack and ran downstairs, got buckets and saved our 10yr old fish! Marineland replaced tank and stand at our purchase price and were very accommodating. We had tank on tile floor so no house damage. Did have some equipment damage but they didn’t cover that. It only took two weeks to get the check and seems to be unusual for them so we bought a 180g Marineland tank for our FO(needed to upgrade) anyway. But they were very nice and supportive but again we didn’t ask for much and claimed no property damage. We also have Farmers home owners insurance and our tanks are covered but not the live stock or electrical equipment we learned. I would still contact your insurance company. Just what our policy reads. Well we wish you luck and sorry for your loss. Appreciate your thread.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start off by saying I was a very big fan of the eshopps.... from day one I started this company and recommended to customers or friends......

And I don’t know what happened but customer service and product starting to fail little by little

First was the magnet probe holder...... I called the company and will send a new one after mine was full of rust.......

Then to Doser heads failed after four months of use!!!!!
Contact them again they send me new heads......

After that I noticed that the E shops 5.0 supplement box holder failed!!!! Putting my magnesium into my sodium so I was double dosing without even noticing....... I called and then after a few weeks they replaced it........ smfh ........

This all happened within a month apart of each other....... never have I ever have a problem with this company and all of a sudden everything went to [emoji90].....

Then one of the worst days I’ve ever had happened....... woke up in the morning looked at the tank and went on my way to work .......came back from work and decided to change and go get a car wash.......

My car was being dried and I get an alert from my nest smoke detectors saying there was smoke in the living room...... A few seconds later I get aanother alert saying there’s smoke in my Kitchen !!!

I look at my nest cameras and see smoke in my living room so I get in my car and raced home luckily my car wash was a quarter-mile away down my street......
As soon as I entered my apartment you can smell electrical fire I immediately went to my tank and looked at the wires and I did not see anything on usual then I searched all the outlets looking to see if I can find the source of the smell and I didn’t find anything!!. At this point the power went off ... I open all my windows and started to check all the outlets..... but nothing !!

After looking everywhere I glanced inside my tank and noticed all my fish are belly up and the water was milky........ I thought to myself oh no I immediately tried to save all the fish nonetheless it was a lost cause.....

I open up the stand doors and a lot of smoke came out of the stand .... so the problem was something inside the sump so I started take out everything one buy one smelling and inspecting everything... 1st I started with the heater ... I have heard horror stories about heater is exploding.... but no the heater was fine then I took out the return pump each take I took something out my hand was covered with black plastic.... the return pump was fine... then I took out the skimmer .. all inside the skimmmer was all black ... the skimmer was on trying to pick up the melted plastic it was in the skimmer cup ... the I look at the pump and it was fine ... The part that the wire goes into the pump was fine.... I was so confused there was nothing else inside my sump that can cause a fire ..... but something told me to check the skimmer because it was full of black melted stuff and it smelled bad like electrical fire.... I took the pump off the skimmer and nothing !! Then I screw off the neck of the skimmer pump and there it was !!!!!!! ... The pump malfunction and started electrical fire underneath water the pump kept running like that for a good 10 to 15+ minutes before the search protector went off and electricity stopped...... it killed everything!! All my coral all my fish .....

I couldn’t believe I invested so much money into this aquarium and it was all taken away for me.....

After I threw everything out in a couple of days pass by I called eshopps spoke to sandy warranty supervisor.... and there wwarranty supervisor advise me right away that they’re not responsible for anything and that if I send them pictures of everything that they can replace my skimmer pump!!

Really big replace my skimmer pump after everything that I have and work so hard for was gone....... I kept my composure and was very respect full...

I told sandy that the pump malfunction and kept running while I was on fire and she said once again that they’re not responsible for anything had no sympathy at all and told me that they could replace the pump if it was still on the warranty .......

So I sent over the pictures of everything and of the skimmer that malfunction..... two weeks pass by or more and did not receive any phone call or email back every time I try to call they would not answer they would not answer any emails either

So I finally called another extension and had me transfer to the warranty department and guess who answered Sandy......

I said hi Sandy it’s me I send over pictures and all the information you requested on the pump that malfunction and she said oh yes I did receive them I have not got a chance to contact you back and I said that’s fine and once again she said all the best I can do for you and send you a new pump I advised her that the skimmer was far beyond needing a new pump and I did not have a tank to put a skimmer and anyway and she replied as follows” so what the heck do you want me to do then ...”

I stood on the phone dumbfounded..... I replied to her that I needed to speak to a supervisor and she said that she was the supervisor and that would be the only person that I can speak to.....

I told her that I spent a lot of money with the company and would like to be talk to with respect and she replied she’s good she’s only going to do what she said and send me a new pump that she cannot do anymore and that they’re not responsible for anything.....

I told her that every time that I got on the phone with her I felt like I was annoying her and now she’s being a suspenseful and she replied that they’re not responsible for anything and she told me 1 million times already.... .

Talk about customer service..... I told her that I was gone no longer going to use any and of products and I was not going to recommend it to anyone and I was going to make a post about on the forum and she said go ahead she didn’t care

I also forgot to mention that she said that my skimmer wasn’t the latest model so I told her since I don’t have the latest model that means that my skimmer could catch on fire at any time and she said no but that I did not have the current the current model ......what kind explanation and customer service is that!!!

I would like to let all my fellow reefers know so be careful with their products they’re bound to fail that’s why every new skimmer now has a sticker that says they’re not responsible for anything because they have a lot of failures if you look on the net you’ll find a lot of other horror stories..... here is pictures of the skimmer.....
a93d71746f1eaf3276d864ca0a6cd7f3.heic
3a4c5a44c215db2a834687f27e4a3ceb.heic
d81abd2b68b49367fc36940fc57b1685.heic

05e43690a2cbfa16f56ca5235d9a8ec4.heic

c8df01c4c11b350be1c0b9fa48d398ef.heic
f0134d2ee8337a839c2b6a680691e303.png
See if they have omissions and error insurance, most companies do. Deal with them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back