Done chasing numbers

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not buying into the phosphates number game anymore. I’ve been chasing my phos for 2 weeks and almost lost 3 corals trying to lower my phosphate. Everybody is always saying you want 0.1-0.3,,well mine have been .39–.47 for Klingon time,, all my corals were growing like crazy( doubling in size n more. Then someone said my pho’s is to high n to bring it down,, well I tried and all sudden my corals started looking like crap so I stopped doing what I was doing and went back to my original ways of caring for my tank. And within a week everything started looking better and now my tank is blooming again at a pho’s reading of .43. I’m leaving it alone and will continue to listen to my coral and not 25 different opinions

DB4B6343-3252-4CFB-8213-1223C5B26BD4.png BDECD0C1-65E6-42DD-B770-EDE4198BFBE5.png DB8CF802-A250-4720-903F-CDA11D57A487.png

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep we’re conditioned to chase numbers to buy more magic in a bottles and more frags cos they die. Let things be and your tank and wallet will thank you.
My most successful tank with acro colonies, not lil nubs of frags was never tested, just water changes to replenish trace elements.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel this on a spiritual level. It all started when I got a badly bleached Wilsoni and had to kick feedings way up. This resulted in slowly but surely sky high po4 and no3. Mostly the po4. Which I ran with zero algae for months at .33 to .45 everything loved the situation crazy growth every where happy fish and pods. Chaeto growing like insane. Then I got scared and thought I'm not doing this right I should drop the po4 a bit so I did with a little gfo. Slowly or I thought and boom nearly crashed my tank and now I'm fighting to keep po4 at ULR readable levels. Use the numbers as a guideline and talk to your tank. That's the only thing to really be watching. I also have only a few sps in my tank it's lps dominant

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not buying into the phosphates number game anymore. I’ve been chasing my phos for 2 weeks and almost lost 3 corals trying to lower my phosphate. Everybody is always saying you want 0.1-0.3,,well mine have been .39–.47 for Klingon time,, all my corals were growing like crazy( doubling in size n more. Then someone said my pho’s is to high n to bring it down,, well I tried and all sudden my corals started looking like crap so I stopped doing what I was doing and went back to my original ways of caring for my tank. And within a week everything started looking better and now my tank is blooming again at a pho’s reading of .43. I’m leaving it alone and will continue to listen to my coral and not 25 different opinions

DB4B6343-3252-4CFB-8213-1223C5B26BD4.png BDECD0C1-65E6-42DD-B770-EDE4198BFBE5.png DB8CF802-A250-4720-903F-CDA11D57A487.png
I am with ya man I run a high nutrient tank and thought my numbers needed to be down. Them I seen this guy's tank in a u2v and his was NICE and he ran high nutrient tank. And he said every tank is different and if it's working let it go listen to ur tank ur the one who knows and cares for it. So I feel ya. Happy Reefing

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t checked NO3 or PO4 in a couple of years, shoot I hardly check calcium, alkalinity or magnesium. I just figure out how much keeps it within range and dose. I use Kalkwasser through my ATO reservoir, and manually dose magnesium every other day.

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing about changing numbers is you have to do it slow. I have vacuumed my sump from detritus before to lower phos and have lost corals because of it in the past.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stay between .15 and .25 for phosphates. Tanks been running over 8 yrs and everything is happy. I've heard the argument that now when I buy corals coming from low nutrient tanks they won't make it in my tank but this just isn't true.

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stay between .15 and .25 for phosphates. Tanks been running over 8 yrs and everything is happy. I've heard the argument that now when I buy corals coming from low nutrient tanks they won't make it in my tank but this just isn't true.
Also I keep my tank at 72-72half,, which everyone says way to low for corals. Well not in my tank, everything is happy,healthy, n growing, I keep low temperature for my seahorses because they r what I really care about. If I lose a coral then o well

C7E3C5DA-F5EA-4526-901F-8BB295393649.jpeg D8CA33FF-7B0E-4E53-884B-6BB7CE315DCD.jpeg EC0937DC-5A89-496D-822E-872995182CEA.jpeg

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing about changing numbers is you have to do it slow. I have vacuumed my sump from detritus before to lower phos and have lost corals because of it in the past.
Honestly I think you can run high or low nutrients and have great results.
Changing anything fast is the kiss of death in this hobby.
I run bare bottom on my 120.
.02-.06 po4 and 1-2 no3 no issues.
One thing I did notice is when I turkey baste rocks the po4 goes up.
If at .02 it can be .08 after blowing off the rockwork and possibly higher.
10 month old tank.
10 fish
5 shrimp
2 decent size brittle stars.
Various snails.
Feed 3-4 times a day
"Stability" at whatever parameters you run wins everytime.
Just took this pic.
20200409_202327.jpg

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that anyone who is in touch with their tank, has experience and understanding of it is going on a fools eerand chasing numbers. I've done it several times only to end up with nearly disastrous results, and no benefit.

By eye I can detect any changes faster than a testing kit, since all I have to do is look.

ramboisreal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chased numbers for a long time. Then I finally won (or so I thought). Got my PO4 and NO3 numbers all the way down to almost undetectable. Then I got a really bad case of dinos. Fought that stuff for months, driving me to almost tear down the tank and start over. But I beat it by bringing up my PO4 and NO3 levels. I’ll never again chase those numbers.

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to know more about this "Klingon time". Googling this, I just find links describing a 24-hour clock using Klingon words. Do Klingons have a different time scale that they use? Because that would make sense.
Was supposed to say— long time— I use voice app sometimes messes up

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best my tank ever looked is when I stopped chasing numbers, and just settled in a "swing". While I don't specifically pinpoint a specific number, I tend to look at the trends.

Meaning I target 7.5 ALK for example. If I test and I'm somewhere between 7 and 8 I don't worry a bit about it. Now if I'm higher then 8 or lower then 7, then I'll take some action.

My tank has settled on 1ppm nitrate, and roughly .03 to .08 phosphates no matter what I put in.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Stability is what is most crucial. Lots of tanks run higher phosphates. IMO the inhabitants of a reef tank are resilient and can adapt to lots of things. It's just key to keep things stable.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm forced to take a contrary opinion to many here. lol

I'm disconcerted by the number of people that use the phrase "chasing numbers" as if that, by itself, is what causes problems. It most certainly is not (IMO).

It is going about the chase in inappropriate ways that is the issue. Too fast, wrong method, overshooting the target, etc.

Whether that covers pH, alkalinity, phosphate, nitrate, trace elements, or whatever, there are desirable ranges and there are undesirable ranges, and while those ranges may vary based on particulars of the tank (for example, whether herbivores may be limiting problem algae), being within the range can certainly be better than being outside of it (assuming you set your target ranges appropriately).

Staying within a range that you determine is best is presumably a key aspect of aquarium husbandry, and going about staying in that range is really an aspect of husbandry that folks need to spend more time thinking about, not just the attainment of that number regardless of how it is done.

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm forced to take a contrary opinion to many here. lol

I'm disconcerted by the number of people that use the phrase "chasing numbers" as if that, by itself, is what causes problems. It most certainly is not (IMO).

It is going about the chase in inappropriate ways that is the issue. Too fast, wrong method, overshooting the target, etc.

Whether that covers pH, alkalinity, phosphate, nitrate, trace elements, or whatever, there are desirable ranges and there are undesirable ranges, and while those ranges may vary based on particulars of the tank (for example, whether herbivores may be limiting problem algae), being within the range can certainly be better than being outside of it (assuming you set your target ranges appropriately).

Staying within a range that you determine is best is presumably a key aspect of aquarium husbandry, and going about staying in that range is really an aspect of husbandry that folks need to spend more time thinking about, not just the attainment of that number regardless of how it is done.
Randy I know you are more or less an expert in this subject you are highly regarded and very well respected I know my numbers are off,they’re not that far off the only one I would think is definitely off kilter would be my phosphates but everything else is perfectly within range of suggested numbers I’m just going to continue what I’m doing and listen to my tank I spend a lot of time in front of it I know it But I do keep in mind of all the advice that I received from such experts as yourself thank you for taking your time to even look at my little post

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy I know you are more or less an expert in this subject you are highly regarded and very well respected I know my numbers are off,they’re not that far off the only one I would think is definitely off kilter would be my phosphates but everything else is perfectly within range of suggested numbers I’m just going to continue what I’m doing and listen to my tank I spend a lot of time in front of it I know it But I do keep in mind of all the advice that I received from such experts as yourself thank you for taking your time to even look at my little post
Just curious what are your thoughts on Tank temperature I keep mine at 72 because of my seahorses everything else just falls into place Ella dabs and everything seems to be growing at a decent rate

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what are your thoughts on Tank temperature I keep mine at 72 because of my seahorses everything else just falls into place Ella dabs and everything seems to be growing at a decent rate
Sorry supposed to say “all adapts”

Back