Done right or would do different - Show off your favorite stands / designs / pics

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a long delay, over the next couple of weeks I am hoping to start in on the stand for the 48x48x24 cube. Looking for threads and opinions on stands. Things like how high you like your stands to be, what you did underneath to waterproof, construction techniques, cool features of a great stand, how to build it 240 gallons strong, did you use styrofoam between the tank and acyrlic, etc.

Most of all, if you had the chance to do it again, what would you have done different or wish you would have known.

For example, I kind of dig this guy's article:

Reefkeeping Magazine - Building an Aquarium Stand

Thank you all for the tips!!!!!!

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than Styrofoam, I was impressed with Homasote, a soundproofing fiberboard sold at my Home Depot. It is also the product the manufacturer of my DT and sump use on their custom stands. Although I know kiln dried dimensional lumber has incredible compressive strength, I went steel - 2" square tube, 3/16" thickness. On the wood portions I used Rustoleum kitchen cabinet coating, but, the jury will be out on that decision for a while. https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=95530&d=1380075318

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheClark

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the tips JeffBowlin, I am soaking it all in. Today I build one of the framed ends based off the reefkeeping magazing. Ended up going 36" high, slightly higher than the current tank.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 112 73.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back