Don't buy the Icecap battery back up!

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This D@MN thing is less than a year old. Plugged in and connected to my Iccap 4K gyre all this time. Everything appeared in tbe green!
Power went out last night and the first time I needed this thing, IT DOESNT WORK!!!
No power at all. Dead. Notta! BRICK!
I can't tell you how frustrating this is.
Fortunately, my best friend has a large wattage battery powered generator that is running the return pump and a couple small power heads for me. Otherwise, everything would be dead by now. Been without power for 12 hours and counting with no news of when it will be back on.
Looks like I'm in the market for another battery back up!

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We put thousands into our tanks. Some type of actual generator or even an inverter that can run off a car battery is an absolute must for a reef tank owner. So many options out there with the newer battery generators that can recharge via solar. I've ran my DC return pump on a 170 gallon tank for 3 days off an inverter and a deep cycle marine battery after a hurricane. Those little battery backups don't cut it. Takes all of 5 minutes to set up and if needed I now have a 3500w dual fuel generator.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We put thousands into our tanks. Some type of actual generator or even an inverter that can run off a car battery is an absolute must for a reef tank owner. So many options out there with the newer battery generators that can recharge via solar. I've ran my DC return pump on a 170 gallon tank for 3 days off an inverter and a deep cycle marine battery after a hurricane. Those little battery backups don't cut it. Takes all of 5 minutes to set up and if needed I now have a 3500w dual fuel generator.
I will research this and look for the necessary equipment today! Thanks!

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up a DIY battery backup system for my tank, and couldn't be happier with how it turned out. I wanted something that could scale to multiple tanks and could be added to, as needed. I didn't end up going with an inverter since most of my gear is Ecotech, but may in the future.

Parts list if you want to build something similar:

- 50 to 100ah Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery
- Renogy battery Monitor
- Kill switch (need this to turn off pumps during maintenance so that battery backup doesn't kick in when I kill the power)
- Trickle Charger
- DC fuse Panel

It's over the top but will allow you to scale it out as much as you need. The Renogy comes with a handy wiring diagram that makes the setup easy.

Darstar301

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefboxx connected to a 12-volt lithium battery on my ice cap 4K wave maker. This will run the 4K for 24 hours and it did not cost much more than the Icecap battery.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I say it.

APC UPS.

Way better for our emergency needs.

A fair approach for sure. That said, with most of our life support devices running on DC power, I believe it's far more efficient to go straight DC whenever possible as you would get a lot more longevity if power should fail.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have my tank on a UPS, I have my house on a generac. But previously I put my tanks on a Honda 2200 inverter when needed.
Great on small tanks. UPS is not enough watts and runtime for my tank… 8x80W T5, two 1000W heaters, etc.

Most APC are only rated to last 3-5 years (we use them at work) so test/replace frequently.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great on small tanks. UPS is not enough watts and runtime for my tank… 8x80W T5, two 1000W heaters, etc.
Most APC are only rated to last 3-5 years (we use them at work) so test/replace frequently.
The idea with a UPS is to provide enough power until the generator kicks-in -or- power for low wattage devices, ie: DC pumps and powerheads.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use hundreds at work and am not concerned with a heater. I am concerned with a case fan and return. Heaters are juice hogs. I need a UPS to get me through until the Generac kicks on.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use hundreds at work and am not concerned with a heater. I am concerned with a case fan and return. Heaters are juice hogs. I need a UPS to get me through until the Generac kicks on.
+1 all of this. Think of your aquarium like your home - there are "mission critical" aspects (like your fridge, freezer) and "luxury" aspects like your TV or washing machine and dryer. You want to focus on the mission critical aspects of your tank, ie: it will die without oxygenation. Powerheads vs. return pumps, fans vs. chillers. Corals will be fine for a few days without light - a few hours without flow.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This D@MN thing is less than a year old. Plugged in and connected to my Iccap 4K gyre all this time. Everything appeared in tbe green!
Power went out last night and the first time I needed this thing, IT DOESNT WORK!!!
Fortunately, my best friend has a large wattage battery powered generator that is running the return pump and a couple small power heads for me. Otherwise, everything would be dead by now. Been without power for 12 hours and counting with no news of when it will be back on.
Same for me but did come for say 30 minutes. Now is a bookend.
Power outs are very rare where I live and if out, not more a a few hours, so the risk is low.
I keep 8 D batteries and two air stones on hand, just in case.
Generator best.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago we were sold on NiCade Batteries for starting Diesel Generators, they would survive multiple over-crank test. Be dead as a door nail, the next day. As in Zero Voltage.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than likely the lead acid battery is junk/ kaput. They have to be plugged in on a battery tender type circuit and the battery itself has a finite life. Upside its easy enough to replace with a LiFePo4 battery.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back