Don't skip the simple solutions

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep it happens to the best of us! Not that I am a "better" hobbyist but I do have some experience.

That being said I skipped something and I wanted to warn you not to do the same!

Lately I have been having polyp bail out on various lps corals. Naturally it has to be a problem with the flow, or the lights, or possibly a nipping fish? Maybe it's that additive I have been using or maybe my alkalinity is a tad high?

Nope it was Nitrates! What?!?! Nitrates? Are you kidding me? As experienced as I am? I haven't checked nitrates via a test kit in years! I usually just look at my corals and they tell me when something is wrong.......oh..errr...whoops!

Yep I did it, it was me. I perform regular water changes, I don't feed that much, but it was the 10PPM Nitrates that have probably been the biggest contributing factor to my recent coral woes.

Word of advice. Don't skip the "elementary" steps. Actually go through those first!

Ok off to figure out the source, change the water a few times and tweak the skimmer.

Oh for any of you who need a refresher or want to dig deeper into Nitrates then check out this article by Randy Holmes-Farley.

nitrate.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm all alone....

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of your coral woes. 10ppm nitrates did that? Seems like a small amount to effect the corals in such a way.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano are you directly reading my keyboard as I type through some nsa engineered browser hacq

:)

I couldn't find any link between even 25 ppm nitrate and polyp bail out> I find strong links to zooxanthellae density and coloration but never calcification inhibition or stress responses at anywhere near 10

Randy or someone else may have alt documentation, but from what Ive read about pbails its a legit asexual reproduction response when bits of regenerative tissue are left behind in the skeleton preceding the bail and then clearly as a stress response to save the coral some species try a planting elsewhere. there are so many reefs at 20ppm w full sps and lps it was hard for me to make a strong tie into that low of a level causing bail out?

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two cents, don't skimp on your nitrate test kit. I always test for nitrates and realized my kit was way off...I mean 50ppm++ off! If you're concerned, buy another kit and double check your numbers. Lastly, Red Sea checked out best of three kits.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, yes 10ppm isn't that bad but we not looking only to the No3 here.
If ALK is high or low it will have a totally different effect than we think.
Just imagine the effect of a ULNS and high ALK.
It's not only one part that does or doesn't do the trick here.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that we do need to know all the tank params before attempting to figure this out.

Rev refers to 'various LPS corals', so my guess is this isn't an ULNS tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back