DOS AWC questions

spscrackhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved a few months ago and have some old equipment from my old tank to use on my new smaller system. I plan on relying on a kalk reactor for supplementation as opposed to ATI elements I used in the past. This means I have an extra dos... Was thinking I could set it up to do auto water changes or manual ones with a press of a button.
In the instructions it says the dos needs to be above the reservoirs to prevent a siphon. This is not the case with the trash can I plan to use for new salt water and my electrical cabinet which houses my dos. Instead of moving my dos somewhere ugly, can't I simply run the RO line higher than the top of the trash can to prevent any possibility for a siphon?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DOS is a peristaltic pump, so the tubing is always pinched at all times. The only time you would have a problem is if the pump head breaks (I haven't heard of anyone complaining of this) or when you disconnect the tubing to replace the DOS heads.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Failure is always possible, since you have an Apex it would be wise to use float switches with a breakout box to have a failsafe built into your design.

OP
OP
spscrackhead

spscrackhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Failure is always possible, since you have an Apex it would be wise to use float switches with a breakout box to have a failsafe built into your design.
Yeah that makes sense and checks out to me. But it is in their instructions to cover their bases. I would like to cover mine as well...

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back