Dos distance

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to setup an AWC system, I’m curious how far a dos can pump and what’s the head of the pumps? Water tanks are in the garage, can go through the wall and tank is on other side of that wall, estimating about 18-20’ run. I’d like to run my waste water down my washer machine drain which is also in the garage but a little further and if I run it to make it look clean I will have to go over a door jam and total length of that run is probably closer to 30’. Is the dos capable of pumping those distances and heights? Can I have my dos in the garage next to water tanks or should it be closer to the tank and apex?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I do not know the spec but that’s exactly how my system is setup. From the garage into the attic, attic into the wall coming through a box under the tank probably closer to 50’ for me. Works fine

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rated head height for the dos is 24 feet. I've never ran mine as anything other than a dosing pump near the tank, but I've seen plenty of videos and posts of people running theirs for longer distances than that without issue.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the vertical limit is 24 feet, the horizontal distance is practically unlimited. I know of a couple people with the DOS over 100 feet from their tanks.

Before setting up the the AWC, read my post about the tubing connection orientation. Neptune’s setup instructions make it difficult to prime and calibrate the DOS, so I recommend altering the setup:

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to setup an AWC system, I’m curious how far a dos can pump and what’s the head of the pumps? Water tanks are in the garage, can go through the wall and tank is on other side of that wall, estimating about 18-20’ run. I’d like to run my waste water down my washer machine drain which is also in the garage but a little further and if I run it to make it look clean I will have to go over a door jam and total length of that run is probably closer to 30’. Is the dos capable of pumping those distances and heights? Can I have my dos in the garage next to water tanks or should it be closer to the tank and apex?
Yes, that's how I have mine set up. I have the dos and the mixing station in the garage. I live in a temperate climate and the garage is a good location to mitigate the noise from the DOS. The tubes run through an attic space and it's approximately 100' of tube to the tank. It's been working well for over a year at this point. I have the apex adjacent to the tank and ran a 125' aquabus cable to the garage through the attic space. I also use the fresh water reservoir in the garage as the ATO reservoir.

1627533823788.png

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's how I have mine set up. I have the dos and the mixing station in the garage. I live in a temperate climate and the garage is a good location to mitigate the noise from the DOS. The tubes run through an attic space and it's approximately 100' of tube to the tank. It's been working well for over a year at this point. I have the apex adjacent to the tank and ran a 125' aquabus cable to the garage through the attic space. I also use the fresh water reservoir in the garage as the ATO reservoir.

1627533823788.png

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mixing-station-automatic-water-change.731821/
I have a mixing station (although mine is no where near as nice as yours) in a utility room across the house and I am also wanting to make the fresh water tank my ATO container. Since I only see the one dos what are you using for the ATO pump, do you just use a different dos that is not in the picture?

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixing station (although mine is no where near as nice as yours) in a utility room across the house and I am also wanting to make the fresh water tank my ATO container. Since I only see the one dos what are you using for the ATO pump, do you just use a different dos that is not in the picture?
Initially I used the neptune ATK. One FMM module by the sump to control the optical sensors and a second in the garage to control the PMUP. In my set up, there is a an approximately 12' vertical to the attic space followed by an 80' horizontal run. The PMUP would get water to the sump, but ultimately did not work for my application. The distance was just a little too much for the PMUP, but would have worked with a smaller distance or height.

I ended up using the tunze osmolator and spliced a Spectrapure water exchange module (WXM). The WXM pulls the water from the garage. The entire set up is located by the sump. This has worked for me for the past year or so.

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially I used the neptune ATK. One FMM module by the sump to control the optical sensors and a second in the garage to control the PMUP. In my set up, there is a an approximately 12' vertical to the attic space followed by an 80' horizontal run. The PMUP would get water to the sump, but ultimately did not work for my application. The distance was just a little too much for the PMUP, but would have worked with a smaller distance or height.

I ended up using the tunze osmolator and spliced a Spectrapure water exchange module (WXM). The WXM pulls the water from the garage. The entire set up is located by the sump. This has worked for me for the past year or so.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/remote-ato-in-garage.696008/
Ok thanks, I was hoping to be able to get away with using a pmup, which I only have around 6' or so of head then about 40' horizontal. I know the pmup is rated for 14' head but I wasn't sure how well it would do.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks, I was hoping to be able to get away with using a pmup, which I only have around 6' or so of head then about 40' horizontal. I know the pmup is rated for 14' head but I wasn't sure how well it would do.

PMUP works fine with my setup with the ATO Water in the garage but I have a much shorter distance than 100’

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PMUP works fine with my setup with the ATO Water in the garage but I have a much shorter distance than 100’
About what distance are you going and how much of that is vertical? I already have a mixing station with AWC using a masterflex pump. Ultimately my goal is to use a pmup for my ATO from my mixing station and move my dos into that room as well. I'm wanting to get some extra space under my stand.

Back