DOS expected life span

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DOS died after roughly 600 to 700 gallons of water through it and 15 months of use.

According to Neptune the DOS should be expected to run 5000 hours. They don't say at what rate but even at 12% speed or 30ml per hour (it can do 250ml) that would be closer to 2,400 gallons.

Even if my estimates are way off and i have actually ran more like 1200 gallons through it, their advertising would suggest i still have another 15 months of use before I need to replace it.

Is this a premature death or is my math compared to Neptunes advertising just way off?

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My DOS died after roughly 600 to 700 gallons of water through it and 15 months of use.

According to Neptune the DOS should be expected to run 5000 hours. They don't say at what rate but even at 12% speed or 30ml per hour (it can do 250ml) that would be closer to 2,400 gallons.

Even if my estimates are way off and i have actually ran more like 1200 gallons through it, their advertising would suggest i still have another 15 months of use before I need to replace it.

Is this a premature death or is my math compared to Neptunes advertising just way off?
Are you speaking about the dos heads? I've had my unit for over 3 years without a single mishap yet

I'm curious also on how long they're supposed to last

OP
OP
Newb73

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you speaking about the dos heads? I've had my unit for over 3 years without a single mishap yet

I'm curious also on how long they're supposed to last

The heads themselves are supposed to require regular replacing. I have a set in the supply closet if i ever need to replace.

No in my case the motor itself seems to be gone out on one side. I can hear running or trying to run internally but the gear on the outside does not spin. I removed the heads and it isn't stripped out. I think it is stripped some where between the motor itself and the gear that connects with the head.

I manually advanced the head to make sure that the gear hadn't froze on the head and induced the problem, but it spins freely so it wasn't induced by the heads either.

OP
OP
Newb73

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW i am not concerned, Neptune always takes care of me. I just wanted to check if anyone thought my expectations were too high.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s certainly concerning to me. Stepper motors are advertised as being very reliable. Is Neptune at least able to offer to repair it for you?

OP
OP
Newb73

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to RMA it later today even though it's out of warranty.

Historically Neptune takes care of its customers in sitations like this and meets you half way at least on getting back up and running. Ecept do salinity probes which I have never been able to get to be reliable...lol.

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to change my heads once a year but other than that no issues. I’m curious to see how the rma process goes though as mine is getting up there as well. I use it for awc, liters/day.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back