DOS fallback?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I missing something or is the only fallback options for DOS on/off, both of which would be detrimental to a tank. Is there no way to have it fall back to auto to continue its current dosing schedule?

RussM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dosing schedule is not stored in the DOS.

User-defined Fallback is not available. Fallback OFF is hard-coded, and if a DŌS senses loss of communications, it will shut OFF the pumps if they are running.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dosing schedule is not stored in the DOS.

User-defined Fallback is not available. Fallback OFF is hard-coded, and if a DŌS senses loss of communications, it will shut OFF the pumps if they are running.

Bummer. Maybe an idea for future enhancement? My tank would literally start crashing in a day if my DOS failed. I'll have to get a non Neptune backup doser standing by without this capability.

Thanks

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RussM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune has some catchup to do. This is a serious flaw for sps keepers dosing alk with DOS. I really like the Neptune suite and have nearly every product of yours but will unfortunately be switching to DHL dosers which stores dosing schedules locally and won't shut off in the event of a network issue like DOS.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/are-dosing-schedules-stored-on-the-ghl-doser.548396/#post-5648367

A DŌS will not just shut off in event of a network issue. I think you are misunderstanding what Fallback is.

Fallback is a special programming command which, if used in an output's program, tells an output in an AquaBus module what to do if that module loses communications with the Apex/Apex Classic/Apex Lite base unit or the Apex Jr. Fallback has no effect during normal operations. Two examples of when Fallback might "kick in":
  • If the AquaBus cable between an AquaBus module and the rest of the Apex system gets disconnected
  • If the controller fails
Fallback has nothing to do with the network or the communications the Apex and the APEX Fusion cloud. Apex programming, including, DŌS schedules, is not stored in APEX Fusion; all programming is stored and executed in the APEX itself. If the Apex loses communications with APEX Fusion, for example due to an Internet service issue, the Apex system just keeps running as is it programmed to do. And if the Apex does lose communications with APEX Fusion, and you have enabled the Heartbeat feature in APEX Fusion, you'll be alerted of that in 34-40 minutes.

If the Apex itself is not working and the DŌS does go into Fallback, OFF is the only SAFE option - that's why it is hard-coded.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A DŌS will not just shut off in event of a network issue. I think you are misunderstanding what Fallback is.

Fallback is a special programming command which, if used in an output's program, tells an output in an AquaBus module what to do if that module loses communications with the Apex/Apex Classic/Apex Lite base unit or the Apex Jr. Fallback has no effect during normal operations. Two examples of when Fallback might "kick in":
  • If the AquaBus cable between an AquaBus module and the rest of the Apex system gets disconnected
  • If the controller fails
Fallback has nothing to do with the network or the communications the Apex and the APEX Fusion cloud. Apex programming, including, DŌS schedules, is not stored in APEX Fusion; all programming is stored and executed in the APEX itself. If the Apex loses communications with APEX Fusion, for example due to an Internet service issue, the Apex system just keeps running as is it programmed to do. And if the Apex does lose communications with APEX Fusion, and you have enabled the Heartbeat feature in APEX Fusion, you'll be alerts of that in 34-40 minutes.

If the Apex itself is not working and the DŌS does go into Fallback, OFF is the only SAFE option - that's why it is hard-coded.

Okay that doesn't sound so bad and I guess is equal to what GHL does. Thanks for for the clarification. I guess I can keep my DOS units. :)

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CMO if you loose your head unit like I did and the dos doesn’t dose because of a connection problem you can still hit the button on the dos heads itself to dose the product it isn’t as spread out but Still way better then hand dosing

vhuang168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the “heartbeat” feature you mentioned?

Heartbeat, if enabled, monitors the connection between this Apex and Apex Fusion.

If the Apex becomes disconnected from Apex Fusion for a period of time, notification will be sent to alert recipients for the Apex.

Power outages and network failures can be detected by this feature.

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to set up my Alkatronic dosing feature as a backup if the DOS shuts off for some reason. The Alkatronic will dose small amounts if it notices a drop in alk measurement of .2, I think. I have to go read when it kicks in. It is just a backup dosing feature and not meant for regular dosing. I may go to the Dosetronic in time and sell my DOS but for now I'm loving my DOS in conjunction with my Alkatronic.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 75 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back