Doser Maxi - Splitting compression tubing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

I have a persistent issue with the Doser maxi splitting the cream coloured compression tube inside the pump head.

I use one head to top up the fresh water and the other head empties the skimmer cup to the drain. One pumps far, one pumps over 30cm or 12 inches. It happens with both heads.

I seem to be chaining the tubing each 4 weeks and any time I apply vaseline, it seems to only be around a week or so then the pump seems to be dry again. Odd.

Now the pump isnt in stock, i fear they may be discontinuing it, I hope i am wrong, its a great pump.

Does anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions?

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd indeed. Never had that issue. Is something misaligned perhaps?

You've opened a ticket?

I wouldn't worry about it being discontinued. Plenty of things are out of stock these days.

Cheers, Tony

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’ve opened a ticket but it’s out of stock.

It always splits at the top of the tubing in the same place

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my near new hpose split. Turns out there was an issue with the hoses being slightly to long. The new ones GHL shipped me are a fraction shorter (about the width of the cable ties they use)

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a known problem. I had it too. GHL tried to tell me it was sand or a snail getting sucked into the line.. I lost all respect for them at that point.. Especially when a beta tester told me it had happened to them too.

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit I never got a firm answer when I asked it if was a known issue.

I found a place on alibaba that sells the compression Tubing but it’s still £40 a metre.

they are redesigning the pump they say. Hope it fixes it

GHL did offer me a refund but I rely on this pump.

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried different tube and the heads stick. I think other tubes are harder to compress so the motor has to work harder.

Personally i think it’s a design issue. With mine the tube seems to want to slip out of the mechanism and gets pinched. It’s almost like it need guide rails to keep it in place better to allow better and more consistent compression.

but that’s just my uneducated opinion. I’m a big fan of GHL but having heavily invested in their systems (I pretty much own one of everything) I would expect more reliability.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, but it’s not an issue for most units so I wouldn’t think it was a general design problem?

Obviously more than just yours as we’ve seen, but I’ve not heard of it before this thread and not for me with either of the two I run. So I wonder what the difference is.

When you say it seems to want to slip out and gets pinched are you seeing that when you remove the cover? And it looks bunched to one side?

The fact that it happening repeatedly with new tubes makes me think it would be an issue with the head. Like it was misaligned or something?

Tony

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I don’t think it’s the head as I have had 4/5 replacements over the last year.

one correctly working would have fixed it by now.

i wonder how popular this pump is and how many people use it often? Mine are to empty the skimmer waste through some push fit pipe tubing that goes through the wall and down the drain. That pumps about 5m and that splits. But also the other pump head is my ATO and the pumps 30cm at most and still does it.

ive tried lower speeds and higher speeds. Still spilts. Sometimes it’s 3 weeks. Sometimes they last 8 weeks. They always split. You even see the tubing start to split before it goes all the way. I wondered if it was the sharp edges so I got my dremel and rounded off all the edges in the housing and on the pump roller etc. Still splits.

I have had the pipe bunch up on one side but not so much since I started cutting it shorter.

The compression tube seems to want to sit outside of the middle of the smooth rolling area all the time. It wiggles forward and back on the rollers and I feel when it gets outside the rollers, only half of the tubing is being compressed. It’s not equal. That difference in pressure over time makes it split.

Again I could be wrong.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The head cap is an OEM design, the DOS uses the same cap mold just with a two roller layout versus three, and they do work on the doser maxi, I have one still running my dos modded heads because I haven't been able to sell that old dos yet. It's probably a tubing issue, maybe a bad run with a batch of OEM caps. I'm not sure how fast a mover the doser maxi was, it could have just been X number of units out of however knows. My one unit in use with the blue caps is working fine, and it's checked on semi regularly.

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is the tube length. The new replacements GHL sent were a few mm shorter (about the width of the cable tie). Contact GHL and log a support ticket and they should sort you out

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is the tube length. The new replacements GHL sent were a few mm shorter (about the width of the cable tie). Contact GHL and log a support ticket and they should sort you out
I’m not saying you’re wrong but I’m skeptical of this conclusion.
I bought 2 maxis at the same time. Both had issues with the tubing being tight and causing the head to bind. This causes the nasty ratcheting noise people get. 1 head out of the three split the tubing. I resolved this by basically breaking in the head. I ran them at slower speeds (0 &1) for a week and then sped them up to 2 and finally 3. No problems since.

I sourced and replaced the tubing. ALSO, I went over the entire head with a piece of 600 grit fine sandpaper and made sure all the edges where smooth and free of burrs. The replacement tube I cut was the same length as the original tube. I haven’t had trouble since. That head has been fully employed as my ATO head.

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not saying you’re wrong but I’m skeptical of this conclusion.
I bought 2 maxis at the same time. Both had issues with the tubing being tight and causing the head to bind. This causes the nasty ratcheting noise people get. 1 head out of the three split the tubing. I resolved this by basically breaking in the head. I ran them at slower speeds (0 &1) for a week and then sped them up to 2 and finally 3. No problems since.

I sourced and replaced the tubing. ALSO, I went over the entire head with a piece of 600 grit fine sandpaper and made sure all the edges where smooth and free of burrs. The replacement tube I cut was the same length as the original tube. I haven’t had trouble since. That head has been fully employed as my ATO head.
Cool - the shorter hoses fixed it for me and you had a different fix. I am still not 100% convinenced about these dosing pumps but everything else in the range is A1

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talk of the devil. The tubing was bone dry this morning. I added Vaseline last week. Odd.

3F93BFE8-FB79-4204-975F-034DC390B44F.jpeg

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It honestly seems to last days, a few days after lubing it up, the rollers and tube are dry!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back