Doser Maxi - Splitting compression tubing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It honestly seems to last days, a few days after lubing it up, the rollers and tube are dry!

Is it a case of the excess lubricant getting cleared off through usage?

Hopefully someone that uses lube will reply, as I don't have any lube on mine. Worth noting perhaps that I have been running two of them, for ATO and AWC for (...have to check) around 18 months with no issues. I had some issues with the standard doser when I first got it (it was from that batch a couple of years ago that had problems with the blue covers but they replaced those) and so got some vaseline to use then. But never actually needed it and I don't remember now if I even used it with the Maxi Dosers at all. One of them was a bit sticky out of the box but that was sorted but just running it back and forth a little.

All of that to say that once your underlying issue is fixed you shouldn't have to worry about lubricating them.

Looking back @Vinny@GHLUSA has recommended Vaseline. Another option here from @Macca_75 : https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/doser-2-1-roller-grease-dust.654254/post-6589638

I hope it gets sorted soon (or already is). I know well how frustrating it is to have problems with the GHL units out of the box. I can say that my personal experience mirrors what I tend to see here, which is that once any initial glitches are sorted everything is smooth sailing and rock solid (to awkwardly mix metaphors).

Cheers,
Tony

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update; tried some silicon lube and it’s much better. Still splitting but better.

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update; tried some silicon lube and it’s much better. Still splitting but better.
Have you asked GHL for a replacement set (of the correct length)? I have probably put 2000L through the new hoses so far no issue

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the correct tube supplier on alibaba.
Ordered 2m for like £50. I’m good.

I also cut down tube short previous and it was better but not perfect.

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the correct tube supplier on alibaba.
Ordered 2m for like £50. I’m good.

I also cut down tube short previous and it was better but not perfect.
I don't understand - if you have the correct tubing why is it not perfect? Is it still splitting?

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then there's something wrong with the unit and they should fix it.
Maybe first he needs to try genuine GHL replacement parts rather than the same part but cut to his own length? Maybe the unit is faulty, maybe not.

From experience I logged a ticket with GHL. They sent replacement tubes (that were slightly shorter) and I haven't had an issue since.

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve logged the issue and had genuine parts. Still splits over time. It’s a known issue.

I sourced the same material they use direct from the supplier so it was cheaper.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve logged the issue and had genuine parts. Still splits over time. It’s a known issue.

I sourced the same material they use direct from the supplier so it was cheaper.
A known issue perhaps, but a rare one if so. Not something you should have to deal with.

What did they say when the replacement split?

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair to them, they offered me a full refund.

There is nothing more they can do, hence the redesign I guess. Problem is, I need something to fill this role of emptying my skimmer and my fresh water top off. Its a pain to replace the compression tube each month but its not the worst. GHL have done all they can I think.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair to them, they offered me a full refund.

There is nothing more they can do, hence the redesign I guess. Problem is, I need something to fill this role of emptying my skimmer and my fresh water top off. Its a pain to replace the compression tube each month but its not the worst. GHL have done all they can I think.
Yeah, can't do much more than a full refund.
Why not take it and buy a new one?

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No stock of the current version.

I'm hoping to hang on until the new one comes around.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, in the mean time you can use DOS replacement caps on them. I still have one maxi using dos caps as that unit hasn't sold (it's the oldest), and it runs my 2 gallon AWC daily just fine, and has been for over 18 months (on those head caps).

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, in the mean time you can use DOS replacement caps on them. I still have one maxi using dos caps as that unit hasn't sold (it's the oldest), and it runs my 2 gallon AWC daily just fine, and has been for over 18 months (on those head caps).
Is there any difference in the noise swapping the heads to the DOS heads?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the dos cap slightly more clickity louder, but that may just be mine as they are getting on in age. I don't have a brand new dos cap anymore to compare it to versus the maxi.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back