Doser selection

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally looking to get a doser for 2 part, I think reducing the (minor) alk swings in my tank would help with the acros.

However I'm budget limited to about $100. I've seen the occasional bubble magus for sale here around that price, but am never quick enough to grab it.

What are some budget friendly options? It's a nano, I have no controller, and brs 1.1mL/min might be too much volume in a nano (using 1 min timer).

What about the Jebao DP-2? I know it won't come with quality near GHL, but would it last?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally looking to get a doser for 2 part, I think reducing the (minor) alk swings in my tank would help with the acros.

However I'm budget limited to about $100. I've seen the occasional bubble magus for sale here around that price, but am never quick enough to grab it.

What are some budget friendly options? It's a nano, I have no controller, and brs 1.1mL/min might be too much volume in a nano (using 1 min timer).

What about the Jebao DP-2? I know it won't come with quality near GHL, but would it last?

Thanks for your thoughts!
I love my GHL dosers, but I think the Jebao will work well for you. With a nano, the doser won't get much run time, even with a high demand. You may not get the accuracy as with a higher end unit, so you may need to make adjustments, but it will be much easier than daily dosing.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BRS dosers are currently $70 and you'd need two, however I have seen them on sale. I *think* I paid $59 for mine, but I can't recall.

Lots of people have luck with Jebao. If you can, I'd recommend checking calibration every now and then.

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my GHL dosers, but I think the Jebao will work well for you. With a nano, the doser won't get much run time, even with a high demand. You may not get the accuracy as with a higher end unit, so you may need to make adjustments, but it will be much easier than daily dosing.

Interesting thoughts, I was under the impression most of what you got from higher end units was longevity.

Would accurate dosing be more important in a nano aquarium, due to the lower amounts of 2 part being dosed and how quickly the params change?

The BRS dosers are currently $70 and you'd need two, however I have seen them on sale. I *think* I paid $59 for mine, but I can't recall.

Lots of people have luck with Jebao. If you can, I'd recommend checking calibration every now and then.

Is there any benefit to grabbing two BRS dosers, two timers (using two outlets), over a self contained package? Jebao is cheaper.

I'd be able to check calibration, how often would you recommend?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thoughts, I was under the impression most of what you got from higher end units was longevity.
It is one of the big advantages. I recommend thinking in terms of running time. For instance, I dose 1400mL of kalk every day. I have to replace the wear parts in that head ever 3 to 4 months. I wouldn't expect a Jebao to last long dosing at that rate.
Would accurate dosing be more important in a nano aquarium, due to the lower amounts of 2 part being dosed and how quickly the params change?
Not really, it works about the same. Consider a nano needing 10mL per day or a larger tank needing 100mL per day. If the doser is pumping 0.9mL/min instead of 1mL per minute the nano will get 9mL and the larger will get 90mL. Both are 10% low.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those cheap knock off dosers scare the bejeebies out of me. Run away dosing seems to be right at the top of the tank-crash-cause list. I'd use the BRS 1.1 dosers if I were you. Just dilute the additives if the runtime is a problem.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap equipment will cost you more in the long run. Save your money a little longer and spring for at least a middle of the road doser. If you buy dirt cheap you will spend even more money on the replacement.

eKoProCS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**4 DAYS LEFT**
eK Doser; Pre-order and save up-to $50!

https://shop.ekoral.io/collections/frontpage/products/ek-doser-pre-order-sale
Doser-IG.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 86 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back