Doser tubing clogging

  • Thread starter Thread starter GuppyHJD
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 15, 2020
Messages
1,356
Reaction score
776
Location
North Port, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure this is discussed here someplace but my searching has been unsuccessful.
I setup a new doser a month ago and I think I might have done it wrong.
The dosing container is below where the doser is mounted. The dosing container has an air hole to prevent pulling a vacuum.
I have the discharge tube dripping into the return pump chamber of my sump.
BUT the discharge tube has twice stopped working, with the end of the Alk 2 Part crystalizing. I have the tubing about 2 inches above the water level. I was thinking I did not want to have a tube that could start a siphon.

Should the dosing tubing be in the sump water?

Thank you
 
Pair your ATO tubing with it so when it turns on to fill your sump it’ll wash off the dosing tube.
I was just typing the same thing.

Do you have an ATO? I ask because I saw a thread a while back that tied the ato into the dosing line to keep it clear using a y type connector.
 
I am sure this is discussed here someplace but my searching has been unsuccessful.
I setup a new doser a month ago and I think I might have done it wrong.
The dosing container is below where the doser is mounted. The dosing container has an air hole to prevent pulling a vacuum.
I have the discharge tube dripping into the return pump chamber of my sump.
BUT the discharge tube has twice stopped working, with the end of the Alk 2 Part crystalizing. I have the tubing about 2 inches above the water level. I was thinking I did not want to have a tube that could start a siphon.

Should the dosing tubing be in the sump water?

Thank you
What are you dosing?

I've had no problems with mine clogging (running 7+ years)
 
Dosing Seachem Fusion 1 & 2
Okay, that seem to be about 6 times as concentrated as the DIY Randys solutions I use, which probably explains the buildup..

Putting the ATO oulett so it pumps fresh water over the dosing nozzles sounds the best idea.

Alternately you may be able to dilute the solutions to give more manageable dosing amounts too.
 
My ATO fills the sump via a float valve..so just a few drips at a time. The most active area of the sump would be to put the dosing line in with the skimmer?
 
My ATO fills the sump via a float valve..so just a few drips at a time. The most active area of the sump would be to put the dosing line in with the skimmer?
I'm not sure I understand your question.

The best place to put dosing lines is without doubt a high flow area of the sump preferably away from pump intakes.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new