Doser tubing clogging

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure this is discussed here someplace but my searching has been unsuccessful.
I setup a new doser a month ago and I think I might have done it wrong.
The dosing container is below where the doser is mounted. The dosing container has an air hole to prevent pulling a vacuum.
I have the discharge tube dripping into the return pump chamber of my sump.
BUT the discharge tube has twice stopped working, with the end of the Alk 2 Part crystalizing. I have the tubing about 2 inches above the water level. I was thinking I did not want to have a tube that could start a siphon.

Should the dosing tubing be in the sump water?

Thank you

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair your ATO tubing with it so when it turns on to fill your sump it’ll wash off the dosing tube.
I was just typing the same thing.

Do you have an ATO? I ask because I saw a thread a while back that tied the ato into the dosing line to keep it clear using a y type connector.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure this is discussed here someplace but my searching has been unsuccessful.
I setup a new doser a month ago and I think I might have done it wrong.
The dosing container is below where the doser is mounted. The dosing container has an air hole to prevent pulling a vacuum.
I have the discharge tube dripping into the return pump chamber of my sump.
BUT the discharge tube has twice stopped working, with the end of the Alk 2 Part crystalizing. I have the tubing about 2 inches above the water level. I was thinking I did not want to have a tube that could start a siphon.

Should the dosing tubing be in the sump water?

Thank you
What are you dosing?

I've had no problems with mine clogging (running 7+ years)

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing Seachem Fusion 1 & 2
Okay, that seem to be about 6 times as concentrated as the DIY Randys solutions I use, which probably explains the buildup..

Putting the ATO oulett so it pumps fresh water over the dosing nozzles sounds the best idea.

Alternately you may be able to dilute the solutions to give more manageable dosing amounts too.

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO fills the sump via a float valve..so just a few drips at a time. The most active area of the sump would be to put the dosing line in with the skimmer?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO fills the sump via a float valve..so just a few drips at a time. The most active area of the sump would be to put the dosing line in with the skimmer?
I'm not sure I understand your question.

The best place to put dosing lines is without doubt a high flow area of the sump preferably away from pump intakes.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back