Dosing A- and K+ in larger amounts

Freenow54

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 5, 2021
Messages
7,577
Reaction score
6,044
Location
Ontario Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately in a desperate attempt to get more Coral to Grow I am dosing A- and K+ at about three times than recommended. Anyone think this may cause an issue ?
 
I believe that I had an issue with multiple acro colonies RTN'ing overnight due to dosing A- and K+ at the maximum recommended dosage. Several other frags turned green. I was also dosing Lugols and Sponge Power at the same time. I chose to discontinue all four and I have not lost another colony to RTN since. I am still waiting to see if some of the frag colors can return. New growth has decent coloration. Could also have been the Iodine, but I would proceed with caution on heavy dosing of A- and K+ if you are not doing any routine ICP's. I did not see any benefit from them even before the RTN started
 
Lately in a desperate attempt to get more Coral to Grow I am dosing A- and K+ at about three times than recommended. Anyone think this may cause an issue ?

Have you seen any increase?
 
I believe that I had an issue with multiple acro colonies RTN'ing overnight due to dosing A- and K+ at the maximum recommended dosage. Several other frags turned green. I was also dosing Lugols and Sponge Power at the same time. I chose to discontinue all four and I have not lost another colony to RTN since. I am still waiting to see if some of the frag colors can return. New growth has decent coloration. Could also have been the Iodine, but I would proceed with caution on heavy dosing of A- and K+ if you are not doing any routine ICP's. I did not see any benefit from them even before the RTN started
I don't know the other products, also don't know what RTN means
 
I am dosing 10ml of TM K and A to my 80 gallon tank full of acro. But I don’t see increase in trace dosing helping corals grow that much, light and nutrients playing major roles. You really need to be careful with dosing trace elements, dose based on your ICP only. And careful with TM A because it has high iodine concentration. Previously I need to cut off my TM A because my Iodine creeps up to 155ugl.
 
Have you seen any increase?
Yes Except for my Kiwi tree . It does not like it but to catch you up . I posted about knocking off a Coral from its frag plug. It fell into a shaded not very well lit area . It had black or dark brown on its edges at the time. Two other Corals seem to be responding positively , as well as the subject one . I watch every day . I dose every otherDay
 
I don't know the other products, also don't know what RTN means
RTN = Rapid Tissue Necrosis

Lugol's = Mixture of elemental iodine and potassium

Korallenzucht Sponge Power = Contents are not really disclosed as far as I know, but it's probably also a trace element solution
 
RTN is Rapid Tissue Necrosis and a tennis ball sized acro would turn completely white over a period of 2-3 days.
 
I have been trying to find your post regarding trace elements in Sea Water pun of the day I think. Which one is not considered to be on the list because of the large amount of it?
 
I have been trying to find your post regarding trace elements in Sea Water pun of the day I think. Which one is not considered to be on the list because of the large amount of it?
I know which post you mean... I think it was Bromine which I though was a trap because Randy said Bromide (which is an ion not the element).
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new