Dosing AFR & Kalkwasser

No. The calcium and magnesium in the AFR will precipitate as magnesium and calcum hydroxide.
Explain to a person who doesn’t understand much about chemistry, what are the consequences? and when all this gets into the aquarium, should the hydroxides dissolve?
 
Explain to a person who doesn’t understand much about chemistry, what are the consequences? and when all this gets into the aquarium, should the hydroxides dissolve?

It will instantly precipitate and settle out as white mud.

If you successfully got the solids to the tank, the concerns are the same as dosing a kalkwasser slurry, which include high pH solids landing on delicate organisms before fully dissolving, and initiating precipitation of calcium carbonate, wasting alk and calcium.
 
No. The calcium and magnesium in the AFR will precipitate as magnesium and calcum hydroxide.
But dosed separate it will not precipitate in the tank?

I just received my Kalk stirrer and currently dosing 100ml of AFR daily at the start of my light cycle. I’ll be dosing Kalk at night.
 
But dosed separate it will not precipitate in the tank?

I just received my Kalk stirrer and currently dosing 100ml of AFR daily at the start of my light cycle. I’ll be dosing Kalk at night.

Correct. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new