Dosing All-For-Reef from a refrigerator possible?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if dosing AFR from a refrigerator is possible, or will components of AFR precipitate/solidify? I am setting up a liquid food dosing system and may have an extra dosing head in the refrigerator, so just wondering if I can do AFR from there or if I have to get another doser to dose it outside of the fridge.

Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect it is fine since the solubility of calcium formate hardly changes between freezing and boiling water, but it is easy enough to put the all for reef into a fridge and see if there is any precipitate. :)

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if dosing AFR from a refrigerator is possible, or will components of AFR precipitate/solidify? I am setting up a liquid food dosing system and may have an extra dosing head in the refrigerator, so just wondering if I can do AFR from there or if I have to get another doser to dose it outside of the fridge.

Thanks!

Wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze. Personally speaking I can't see any benefit from doing it that way unless it is just one of those things because you can...

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to hear more about the liquid food setup.
Still gathering materials for this, but it's coming along. I just today ordered a Reef Factory x3 dosing pump.

I did a test with various Reef Nutrition liquid products, mixing them together and seeing if they stayed in suspension in a refrigerator (15mL conical tube). Pac pods + Arcti pods + Oyster feast + Roti feast + Phyto feast. The primary concern was phyto feast and oyster feast falling out of suspension since it is less viscous, but after mixing it, it all stayed in suspension for a full week with no falling into any density gradients.

Thus, I am now going with 1 dosing pump for Reef Nutrition and 1 dosing pump for RODI to flush. The third dosing pump will be for AFR.

Will update as I go along, but this is a bit of a slow process since it is an office tank and I'm not getting much peace in the office lately :~)

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze. Personally speaking I can't see any benefit from doing it that way unless it is just one of those things because you can...
In this case, I will have room in the refrigerator and an extra dosing pump--it also saves some $$ since I can use the Reef Factory x3 dosing pump and utilize the third head for AFR. Also saves some space in the rest of the stand, which is smaller than I imagined!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dosed liquid foods from an old insulated fish shipping box with a dosing pump and a container of foods (such as arctipods in it). Cut a hole in the bottom for the delivery tubing and the power cord, and just cycled a frozen plastic milk jug of water into it every few days from my normal freezer. Worked great.

My sump consisted of Brute cans, so i just set the box on top of one of them and it delivered straight down through the Brute lid and into the water.

AlexandraDreadlocksPanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still gathering materials for this, but it's coming along. I just today ordered a Reef Factory x3 dosing pump.

I did a test with various Reef Nutrition liquid products, mixing them together and seeing if they stayed in suspension in a refrigerator (15mL conical tube). Pac pods + Arcti pods + Oyster feast + Roti feast + Phyto feast. The primary concern was phyto feast and oyster feast falling out of suspension since it is less viscous, but after mixing it, it all stayed in suspension for a full week with no falling into any density gradients.

Thus, I am now going with 1 dosing pump for Reef Nutrition and 1 dosing pump for RODI to flush. The third dosing pump will be for AFR.

Will update as I go along, but this is a bit of a slow process since it is an office tank and I'm not getting much peace in the office lately :~)
I ran a frozen food feeding system for quite some time from a husky beer fridge, with a vertex Libra 3 channel peristaltic sited in the fridge. (It had big enough bore tubing that it could pump mysis without smashing them too much) I could put 4 days worth of cubes into a large container, that was stood on top of a magnetic lab stirrer that was connected to a smart wifi socket… 3 times a day the lab stirrer would come on on its slowest setting for 1 minute, then the peri pump would dispense food from the container. But here’s the clever bit: I had a loop coming from the second head that tee’d into the line to the tank, so after food had been dispensed, the lines would flush with tank water so food wasn’t going bad in the lines… third head was occasionally used for some Phyto when A: I could be arsed B: The culture hadn’t crashed.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a frozen food feeding system for quite some time from a husky beer fridge, with a vertex Libra 3 channel peristaltic sited in the fridge. (It had big enough bore tubing that it could pump mysis without smashing them too much) I could put 4 days worth of cubes into a large container, that was stood on top of a magnetic lab stirrer that was connected to a smart wifi socket… 3 times a day the lab stirrer would come on on its slowest setting for 1 minute, then the peri pump would dispense food from the container. But here’s the clever bit: I had a loop coming from the second head that tee’d into the line to the tank, so after food had been dispensed, the lines would flush with tank water so food wasn’t going bad in the lines… third head was occasionally used for some Phyto when A: I could be arsed B: The culture hadn’t crashed.
That's great. Right now I'll have the first head pumping liquid food (already checked that it stays in suspension) and the second head pumping RODI to flush the tube. Third head will be AFR for now, but adding a magnetic stirrer and live phyto is a possible future use for that third head!

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Do you by chance have a thread on this? I'm considering it for some phyto dosing :)

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you by chance have a thread on this? I'm considering it for some phyto dosing :)
I haven't gotten it quite setup yet, but I will get a thread going when it's up. I'm still getting sime equipment. Went with the Reef Factory x3 dosing pump to have one doser pushing Reef Nutrition blend, one pushing rodi to clear the tube, and a separate tube on the third doser running AFR. Pump just arrived today!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back