Dosing cipro for SPS RTN/STN and LPS recedings?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
You can take the whole tablet and crush it up and mix it with 50ml of RODI. From there you can dose a little bit of it daily for 10-14 days.

From Aquabiomics - I used Ciprofloxacin at 0.125 mg / L. To achieve this I dissolved a 500 mg pill in 50 ml of RODI water, producing a 10 mg / ml solution (which I subsequently stored in the fridge). The aquarium system has 70 gal volume altogether (~265 L), so I added 3.3 ml of this solution to achieve 0.125 mg / L. I repeated this dose every 2 days for 3 doses altogether.

So with your system at 120 gallons you would need around 57mg for a total of 5.7ml dosed daily. I went scorched earth on my tank and dosed 250mg every day. However, you could play it safe and just mix up a 50ml solution and dose 5.7ml of it daily.

Dose it at night when the lights are off and turn your skimmer off at night. Turn your skimmer back on in the morning. Dose it for 10-14 days. If you have a bad pathogen/bacteria then you should see things turn around within a month or so.

**Edit - You can start with the 3 day dose and see how it goes. I did 14 days because I had nothing else to lose at that point. The point is, I went scorched earth and dosed for 14 days. Within days my pH shot up drastically and color came back to all pieces within weeks.
How did it work for you ? Did STN come back

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
How many days are you dosing for. I see 6 and I see 10 , I see every other and daily
was only dosing for 5 days. so i’m observing things at this point.

backstory;
have an OG bounce presumably get a bacterial infection. went from being nickel sized to a dime size, to even smaller(size of a pencil eraser). lost color and bubbles and was looking translucent. even let go of the plug and floated around a bit before i was able to find it and was handled roughly(even with the flow off it kept floating away so i inadvertently pinched it a few time before catching it.. anyways i tried iodine dips before i went to cipro because i didn’t want to use cipro but because of the type of coral it was…(expensive) i decided to dose cipro in the tank(figured it could help with a few corals with STN(from my CSBTA roaming prior to this). within two days the OG attached itself to a piece of rubble and stopped shrinking. days 3 & 4 some color came back(it’s still in low light/flow area), but hasn’t gotten bubbles yet. day 5 same thing. on monday, i plan on bringing it out to the sand bed for more light (it’s actually in a cave structure currently because it was the only spot with little to no flow…) really hoping it turns around and doesn’t melt away like it originally was

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

backstory;
have an OG bounce presumably get a bacterial infection. went from being nickel sized to a dime size, to even smaller(size of a pencil eraser). lost color and bubbles and was looking translucent. even let go of the plug and floated around a bit before i was able to find it and was handled roughly(even with the flow off it kept floating away so i inadvertently pinched it a few time before catching it.. anyways i tried iodine dips before i went to cipro because i didn’t want to use cipro but because of the type of coral it was…(expensive) i decided to dose cipro in the tank(figured it could help with a few corals with STN(from my CSBTA roaming prior to this). within two days the OG attached itself to a piece of rubble and stopped shrinking. days 3 & 4 some color came back(it’s still in low light/flow area), but hasn’t gotten bubbles yet. day 5 same thing. on monday, i plan on bringing it out to the sand bed for more light (it’s actually in a cave structure currently because it was the only spot with little to no flow…) really hoping it turns around and doesn’t melt away like it originally was
Thanks for update

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
You can take the whole tablet and crush it up and mix it with 50ml of RODI. From there you can dose a little bit of it daily for 10-14 days.

From Aquabiomics - I used Ciprofloxacin at 0.125 mg / L. To achieve this I dissolved a 500 mg pill in 50 ml of RODI water, producing a 10 mg / ml solution (which I subsequently stored in the fridge). The aquarium system has 70 gal volume altogether (~265 L), so I added 3.3 ml of this solution to achieve 0.125 mg / L. I repeated this dose every 2 days for 3 doses altogether.

So with your system at 120 gallons you would need around 57mg for a total of 5.7ml dosed daily. I went scorched earth on my tank and dosed 250mg every day. However, you could play it safe and just mix up a 50ml solution and dose 5.7ml of it daily.

Dose it at night when the lights are off and turn your skimmer off at night. Turn your skimmer back on in the morning. Dose it for 10-14 days. If you have a bad pathogen/bacteria then you should see things turn around within a month or so.

**Edit - You can start with the 3 day dose and see how it goes. I did 14 days because I had nothing else to lose at that point. The point is, I went scorched earth and dosed for 14 days. Within days my pH shot up drastically and color came back to all pieces within weeks.
14 days?!

I see others doing 6 days?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I run mine for 10 days.
Just started day 1 tonight . 12ml on display and 3 ml on frag tank.

I’ve lost about $1000-$1300 in the last 3 months over a pathogenic bacterial issue. I’m trying to save my very first coral “Goniopora” before everything is gone at least. Then I can start rebuilding from this.

I ordered 32oz bottle of Dr Tims bacteria. After day 10 I’ll wait 24 hours then do a water change, followed by Dr Tim’s .

Do you recommend waiting 24 hour for water change or 3 days? I seen on the write up article 3 days later a water change was conducted.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

backstory;
How things going?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
*correction* I dosed 10mg per 10ml . Pretty much 1mg per ml compared to the equation in this post . Palettea dosed 500mg per 500ml with good results

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need amoxacillin not cipro....Also look for philasters, dip with kcl to find when amoxacillin is added you will see healing/irritation. That is where they are.

Last edited:

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You need amoxacillin not cipro....Also look for philosters dip with kcl to find when amoxacillin is added you will see healing/irritation. That is where they are.
i have some on the way soon thanks to @Thuan

what's philosters dip?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back