Dosing dry soda ash/calcium/magnesium

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I've been having trouble keeping snails in the tank, and I haven't known why. Today I came up with a theory: What if putting dry soda ash or calcium directly into the sump ISN'T a good idea? I know you are supposed to mix it. At first I only had 1 little pump going into my tank. By the time that water could get into my tank, it'd have plenty of time to mix in. Well now I've upped it to 3 and I'm putting in even more soda ash at the same time. (I think the soda ash is the main problem.)

So the question is, if you put 3 tablespoons of soda ash into your sump and you have about 600 GPH going into the tank...would that be hard on the snails? What would the effect of it be?

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also...the pumps are on the other side of the sump which is 20 gallons. Then the pumps don't even pump directly into the tank. They pump into a HOB fuge that's about 5 gallons. So I thought I was safe dosing dry stuff that way.

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How should I dose it? Do the same thing except dissolve it in RO water first?

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like nobody wants to comment on this since probably everybody just follows the directions and mixes it with RO water. But I'll tell you what I'm gonna do. I'm getting the 1 gallon jugs from BRS and I'm going to pre mix my elements (Soda ash, calcium, and magnesium) before I put them in my sump. In the past I may have gotten away with it because if I only had 200 GPH of return pump, it was probably reasonably safe. But now with 600 GPH it is probably getting in there a little too quick to be adding dry powder to the sump.

So in the absence of information I'm just going to play it safe like apparently everybody else is. That way I can feel good about what I'm doing and if my snails still have problems then at least it isn't this.

SPS_ONLY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if its directly correlated to killing your inhabitants but I think it has always been recommend to mix it in RO water for it completely dissolve rather than dumping the powder in directly in concentrated amounts.

Like what you stated above, I simply just premix it in a gallon jug and dose it into my tank with a doser.

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if its directly correlated to killing your inhabitants but I think it has always been recommend to mix it in RO water for it completely dissolve rather than dumping the powder in directly in concentrated amounts.

Like what you stated above, I simply just premix it in a gallon jug and dose it into my tank with a doser.
Yeah...One more thing I can do right and one less thing I can do wrong.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I've been having trouble keeping snails in the tank, and I haven't known why. Today I came up with a theory: What if putting dry soda ash or calcium directly into the sump ISN'T a good idea? I know you are supposed to mix it. At first I only had 1 little pump going into my tank. By the time that water could get into my tank, it'd have plenty of time to mix in. Well now I've upped it to 3 and I'm putting in even more soda ash at the same time. (I think the soda ash is the main problem.)

So the question is, if you put 3 tablespoons of soda ash into your sump and you have about 600 GPH going into the tank...would that be hard on the snails? What would the effect of it be?

It definitely isn't a good idea, but I don't know if it is causing the organism issues you report.

It is far more likely to cause precipitation of calcium carbonate than if you dissolved it first.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sometimes add a few tbsp of baking soda directly into my tank, and nothing happens other than my alk going up. I don't see any ill effects even when it falls directly onto my acros.

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely isn't a good idea, but I don't know if it is causing the organism issues you report.

It is far more likely to cause precipitation of calcium carbonate than if you dissolved it first.
Ok. Hey while we're at it, do I need to have magnesium sulfate as well as the magnesium chloride? So far I've just been using the chloride. I'm wondering if that's part of the problem with this tank.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 60 35.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%

Back