Dosing Hydrogen Peroxide 3% to reef tank

DCN01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have question please, does any body dosing Hydrogen Peroxide 3% to reef tank? what it does such benefit and defective to the tank? thanks for all information.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am. 1 cup to approximately 500g system every other day.
Reason is hair algae and small cyano outbreak.
New system, filled on dec31 and rock that was cured for almost a year. Bare bottom. Very few fish so far.
120 sps frags, 8 hammers and 2 csb nems.

Results cyano gone, hair algae is dying off.
Corals get ticked shortly after each dose and remain so for a day or 2.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a search on this forum and you'll see that many dose H2O2
I have question please, does any body dosing Hydrogen Peroxide 3% to reef tank? what it does such benefit and defective to the tank? thanks for all information.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend no dosing

instead, this

forty pages of peroxide work, everyone’s happy, we r onto something. Every practical application answer to peroxide is in there as a work link to someone else’s tank. Scan for before pics of similar issues to yours

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks should be aware that dosing of oxidizing substances (hydrogen peroxide, Lugols, etc.) or reducing substances (e.g., vitamin C) may well be impacting the speciation of trace elements (e.g., iron in ferric vs ferrous form), and thereby changing the stability and bioavailability of them.

When folks see positive or negative effects, the underlying mechanism may not be as clear cut as the hobbyist thinks (e.g., dosing Lugols and thinking any effect is from the iodine level supplementation as opposed to trace element speciation effects).

NYBumkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks should be aware that dosing of oxidizing substances (hydrogen peroxide, Lugols, etc.) or reducing substances (e.g., vitamin C) may well be impacting the speciation of trace elements (e.g., iron in ferric vs ferrous form), and thereby changing the stability and bioavailability of them.

When folks see positive or negative effects, the underlying mechanism may not be as clear cut as the hobbyist thinks (e.g., dosing Lugols and thinking any effect is from the iodine level supplementation as opposed to trace element speciation effects).
How would we go about determining this? Icp pre, during, and after dosing? ‍♂️

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back