Dosing just soda ash

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I have noticed ~ .2 dkh usage per day so I've begun the wheels in dosing on my display tank.

I've purchased soda ash and a single BRS doser to help combat this drop. I've begun reading more and more than I'm hurting my tank by only dosing soda ash to raise alk. Should I also be dosing calc ?

Any insite is helpful

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ratio of Ca to alk consumption is ~20ppm Ca for every 2.8dKH.
Eventually your Ca may drop too low but you can probably continue dosing only alk as long as your calcium is in a normal range.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So dosing .2 dkh a day until I see my Ca drop really low should be okay ? I plan on dosing Ca soon too but my alk was ~7 dkh the other day..

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
assuming the alk consumption remains at 0.2 a day, in ~14 days you Ca will have dropped ~20ppm. You should check Ca levels and consumption in your tank as it may not always be balanced.

It’s always best to dose the 2 part Together but if for shorter periods you don’t dose Ca I don’t think there will be much damage.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I have noticed ~ .2 dkh usage per day so I've begun the wheels in dosing on my display tank.

I've purchased soda ash and a single BRS doser to help combat this drop. I've begun reading more and more than I'm hurting my tank by only dosing soda ash to raise alk. Should I also be dosing calc ?

Any insite is helpful

Your calcium demand is very small (less than 2 ppm per day) so it may take a while for need to become apparent, and if you salt mix starts high in calcium, it may never need it unless the demand picks up.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about magnesium than? Dose manually ?

Your demand for magnesium is less than 0.2 ppm per day. No dosing needed for a long time.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So dosing .2 dkh a day until I see my Ca drop really low should be okay ? I plan on dosing Ca soon too but my alk was ~7 dkh the other day..

Yes.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about magnesium than? Dose manually ?
That is what I do. Check it monthly and add when needed. I overdosed a little a few months ago. Still slowly coming down. I run kalkwisser in my doser containers. It keeps calcium and alk balanced. I have brs two part in gallon jugs and adjust as needed. But usually calcium is 450 and steady and only need to add 15 to 30 ml of soda ash a week. Someday will switch to two part. But calcium works for me right now. I have lps, zoas, mushrooms, and a Birdsnest.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I do. Check it monthly and add when needed. I overdosed a little a few months ago. Still slowly coming down. I run kalkwisser in my doser containers. It keeps calcium and alk balanced. I have brs two part in gallon jugs and adjust as needed. But usually calcium is 450 and steady and only need to add 15 to 30 ml of soda ash a week. Someday will switch to two part. But calcium works for me right now. I have lps, zoas, mushrooms, and a Birdsnest.
Kalkwisser not calcium....

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your calcium demand is very small (less than 2 ppm per day) so it may take a while for need to become apparent, and if you salt mix starts high in calcium, it may never need it unless the demand picks up.
I use instant ocean reef salt not crystals. I'll monitor it slowly as time goes. Thank you so much !

Val Shebeko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

Any insite is helpful
And btw, get some baking soda, Arm and Hammer, about 600 grams, pour it out on a cookie sheet, bake it at 375 for about an hour mix with a gallon of di water and be careful not to overdose. Cheap and dirty

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I recieved my doser and my soda ash. I calibrated my doser and began dosing starting at 1.9 mL as that's what is dosed in 1 minute the minimum my timer currently allows.

My question is:

I've been noticing .2 dkh drop per day but between two days ago and yesterday it remained 7.3 the lowest the tank has ever been.. does alkalinity bottom out ? Or would it continue to drop to zero? Does something else compensate ? Does a reaction occur in which calcium turns to alkalinity or mg?

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the brs calculator to estimate your dosing needs. I have about 70 gallons and would require about 20 ml of liquid soda ash to maintain. 2 drop daily. The brs calculator is on line. I do use brs 1 gallon pouches and mix in ro di water. You can also use it for the other key elements.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the brs calculator to estimate your dosing needs. I have about 70 gallons and would require about 20 ml of liquid soda ash to maintain. 2 drop daily. The brs calculator is on line. I do use brs 1 gallon pouches and mix in ro di water. You can also use it for the other key elements.
Not what I was asking but thank you !

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, 7.3 is very low. But it will continue to drop ad even become acidic. If I had that condition would consider it an emergency and would dose .5 DKH today and .7 dkh tomorrow to get off the bottom then dose daily as needed to keep the tank 8 to 8.5 dkh.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, 7.3 is very low. But it will continue to drop ad even become acidic. If I had that condition would consider it an emergency and would dose .5 DKH today and .7 dkh tomorrow to get off the bottom then dose daily as needed to keep the tank 8 to 8.5 dkh.
I've read Randy's reccomended levels and 7dkh is actually standard for surface ocean levels and anything higher is deemed acceptable. So I know 7.3 is safe... It's just not going to accelerate coral growth like I'm looking for. I'm asking why my .2 dkh daily drop stopped once it hit 7.3

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 72 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.7%

Back