Dosing just soda ash

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my, I had PH in my head. Feel like jumping off the roof. Randy is absolutely correct and am oppiligetc to the r2r community for any confusion. I dose kalkwisser for my tank. About 360 ml per day. And dose by the hour 360/24 .... my dkh does drop about .3 to .6 per week while calcium stays around 440 to 450. So I dose a little liquid sada ash a week as needed to get to 8.5. So 7.8 to 8.5 dkh ... PH is fairly stable 7.9 to 8.15. The 7.3 number you gave for dkh is ok. For some reason my brain put a PH there.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I recieved my doser and my soda ash. I calibrated my doser and began dosing starting at 1.9 mL as that's what is dosed in 1 minute the minimum my timer currently allows.

My question is:

I've been noticing .2 dkh drop per day but between two days ago and yesterday it remained 7.3 the lowest the tank has ever been.. does alkalinity bottom out ? Or would it continue to drop to zero? Does something else compensate ? Does a reaction occur in which calcium turns to alkalinity or mg?

yes, the lower alk gets the lower is the daily demand. Demand disappears entirely around 6 dKH.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my calcium tester and it's ~470 ppm it may be less just a little unsure during first test. I will test again tomorrow.

I got my alk to 8.4 which is right about where I want it so time to find the daily dose sweet spot! Makes me feel like I'm in chem lab in college again !

Thanks again Randy

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just learned I have vermetid snails - could this be a reason as to why my alk was being eaten up? I've read the tube they create is calcium based.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just learned I have vermetid snails - could this be a reason as to why my alk was being eaten up? I've read the tube they create is calcium based.

yes. I had a plague of them. Ugly

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh I hope it's not the only reason my alk was being eaten - I have loads of Coraline growing. Did you ever eradicate them?

nope. The tank is empty in the garage with a bunch of them still in it. But some fish will eat them I think.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 71 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.8%
Back