Dosing Magnesium

Reefhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have question about the amount of mag I can dose per day. I don’t want to shock the system. Total volume of water is 240 gallons. Currently, mag is 1170 (salifert test kit) and want to get to around 1325. Using fauna Marin magnesium balling salts and from their calculator it said the dose 2816 ml (2.8 Liters!). I know I can’t do that all at once so want to know what’s the most I can dose per day. I found somewhere that don’t dose more than 1ml per gallon per day…250 ml. Can I dose more??? TIA

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a total of 1817ml will raise the mag to desired 1325ppm. Dosing 20 ml per hour for 12 hours be ok? Don’t want to overdose to fast!

Nope. You already stated 2.8L for a 155 ppm increase to get you to 1325. Based on that, I just calculated the safe 100ppm increase recommended.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have question about the amount of mag I can dose per day. I don’t want to shock the system. Total volume of water is 240 gallons. Currently, mag is 1170 (salifert test kit) and want to get to around 1325. Using fauna Marin magnesium balling salts and from their calculator it said the dose 2816 ml (2.8 Liters!). I know I can’t do that all at once so want to know what’s the most I can dose per day. I found somewhere that don’t dose more than 1ml per gallon per day…250 ml. Can I dose more??? TIA

A likely cause for magnesium that low (aside from test error, which it may be) is low salinity. Raising the salinity may be a better option than dosing.

It would take a very long time for magnesium to decline to that level.

I'd try the kit on some of your new salt water before dosing.

OP
OP
R

Reefhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A likely cause for magnesium that low (aside from test error, which it may be) is low salinity. Raising the salinity may be a better option than dosing.

It would take a very long time for magnesium to decline to that level.

I'd try the kit on some of your new salt water before dosing.
I just checked the salinity and it’s at 1.026/35ppt. My alk was pretty low too at 5.6 but I’m slowing bringing that back up. My cal is 409. Using Hanna checkers for all and cal.

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt mix are you using?
I have the opposite problem with the Neomarine mix giving me 1480ppm

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked the salinity and it’s at 1.026/35ppt. My alk was pretty low too at 5.6 but I’m slowing bringing that back up. My cal is 409. Using Hanna checkers for all and cal.

Perhaps the salinity measurement is not accurate. Magnesium does not just get low on its own. Heavy depletion is about 1/10th of the rate of depletion of calcium, so not usually more than 1 ppm per day with substantial alk and calcium dosing, without any magnesium dosing. It would take quite a while to get to the magnesium level you report this way, assuming no water changes.

OP
OP
R

Reefhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps the salinity measurement is not accurate. Magnesium does not just get low on its own. Heavy depletion is about 1/10th of the rate of depletion of calcium, so not usually more than 1 ppm per day with substantial alk and calcium dosing, without any magnesium dosing. It would take quite a while to get to the magnesium level you report this way, assuming no water changes.
I recalibrated the refractometer with BRS solution and it still came out at 1.026/35ppt

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back